2007 Scugog Ice Fishing (w Pics)

Entropy

• 2 weeks later...

Jan 10 --> evening (9:00 pm)

Check was on windy shoreline.

Some Ice at the shore (pilled up), but take two steps out and you break through. Some slush beyond that.

I'm sure there is some ice in non-windy areas of the lake, but not enough to venture out on.

Scugog Fire and Rescue issued a public warning this week to stay off the ice.

Loading the boat up, or not, or ... I don't know what to do.??

Entropy

Honestly folks, with the open water we had last week I would say give it at least another week or two ... just because it doesnt give out on your first hundred yards doesnt mean that its safe ... I really dont want to read about any disasters .. especially not for our OFC gang. The good news is the ice is forming fast ... its not a write off yet :)

Jan 15 eve

Checked the ice last night walked out 5 feet and the ice was really cracking under me. It only took one hit with the driveway scraper to punch through. Not good. Hopefully these cold nights will help it a bit, although the 2 inches of snow on top will hinder the progress.

Entropy

Jan 16 -10 pm

Stepped out onto the ice, heard some cracking, chopped a hole and noticed that there was a 1" layer of white ice (likely the snow which has melted and froze), and then 2" of clear ice under that. So, a total of 3" of ice, but like I said that top 1" did nothing but sluff off when tapped. As of last night it was a no go for walking out (for me). Hoping for this weekend, but I will not be going out into deep water.

Entropy

thanks for the reports

but """Hoping for this weekend, but I will not be going out into deep water."""""

..............deep water on the bog....lol..........

sorry I found that funny, but I guess anything over your head is deep if you fall through the ice

Jan 18 eve -->

2" of clear ice, 1" of junk ontop of that.

Made it home last night with 1.5 hrs of daylight left. Popped a few holes in, didn’t get anything, but then again I was only in 2.3 to 3 ft of water with no weeds or structure around. After you scrape the snowy slush off the top there was only 2" of clear ice, didn’t really want to venture out to “the spot” yet. Saw a guy touring the shoreline on a new Skidoo. Let’s hope for some thickness for this weekend.

F.N. & SHR I might not be able to make it out Sunday morning, I have a house warming to go to at my “Best Man’s” house Saturday evening, might not even see Sunday morn. Lol,

I saw another guy out near where I was, had a floater suit on, great idea, he was out always. I’ll have to invest in one for next year. He didn’t appear to be catching much, maybe a few perch if anything. Had my FRS radio on CH 19 nobody out there from here.

As for Sunday Morning, I might (“might”) be up and at it. Where are you guys thinking of meeting up? View Lake ?? If I’m alive I’ll head over, have a radio on so I can find you guys.

Awww, this house warming thing is becoming a bit of a thorn, might have to call it an early night, heck it will cost me the evening bite and morning bite, that’s a lot of fishing time to lose.

I’ll be out Friday evening, within 300 feet of shore, and a buddy of mine is coming down for Saturday morning. I’ll have my FRS on ...

Entropy

Jan 18 - 9:00pm

Walked out onto the lake could hear some breaking as I stepped out off of shore. Walked out 100' drilled 3 holes along the way, there was anywhere between 4" to 5", however 25% of that was white ice. I will be out (after first confirming the ice is safe of course), Friday evening, Saturday and some of Sunday.

Play it safe, check often, be able to float, have picks, a rope, and a partner.

Entropy

Fished on and off Friday evening through Sunday evening, only caught 4 small perch. Time to move the hut. I’ve got 6 to 7 feet and green weeds, but I guess the fish just are not there.

My parents made it out.

P1000788.jpg

Scoop came apart

P1000757.jpg

My buddy focusing

P1000750.jpg

Saturday Sunset.

P1000781.jpg

Edited by Entropy