help fight buyers remorse

stuntman

I have gotten a lot of good help from the OFC members on buying the type of boat I would be happy with.

Unfortunately, I regularly suffer from buyers remorse (even with good purchases, is there a pill for that?) when I am green to the market.

So I guess I am just looking for a bit of reassurance, I could back out but the seller is holding on to it for me and I like keeping deals (even tentative ones) I make and am not worried about a couple of hundred dollars overspent; I hope I am in good form:

-2007 Lund SSV-16 with floors and lights

-2007 40HP 4-stroke merc (really too much power but it might help me venture a bit for salmon on Lake Ontario)

-good bunk trailer with those guides on the side

- 4 to 5 hours on the motor

-I am all giddy about getting to take it out for the first time.

-$7400-$8100 (exact price might be bad form) on the road and in the water. The seller is a co-worker of my brothers, but really neither of us know the seller. Its more motor than I need but I think its a boat that will be versitile and outlast me. Any opinions?

stuntman

Edited by stuntman

-2007 Lund SSV-16 with floors and lights

-2007 40HP 4-stroke merc (really too much power but it might help me venture a bit for salmon on Lake Ontario)

-good bunk trailer with those guides on the side

- 4 to 5 hours on the motor

-I am all giddy about getting to take it out for the first time.

-$7400-$8100 (exact price might be bad form) on the road and in the water. The seller is a co-worker of my brothers, but really neither of us know the seller. Its more motor than I need but I think its a boat that will be versitile and outlast me. Any opinions?

stuntman

Let's see, a less than one year old boat by a well respected manufacturer, ditto for the motor, means in my opinon. that you have nothing to worry about in terms of; is it mechanically sound, will it give me years of service, is it a good unit?

As to a 40 horse being too much power for a 16? IMHO I think that it is just about right. Two adults = 300 - 500 lbs of weight. Add gear and motor weight + 350 lbs for a total of 650 - 850 lbs the motor has to push. A car with twice the weight has a motor with 3x the hp and is underpowered in some peoples opinion, and it is pushing on asphalt not water.

The price - compare it to the same rig brand new, and you may be surprised.

It boils down to whether or not you feel that this is the right boat for you.

Buyers remorse is always there, however one must remember that at the time it was the best deal that you could find.

If you go ahead with the purchase - enjoy. If not, the hunt continues.

It looks like an excellent package, go ahead & buy it, and then you can always trade up in a couple years if you decide you need to.

Not too much power at all, that boat, I believe, is rated for 40HP and any boat will work better if you max out the power for what the boat is designed for. You can always throttle back if you don't need it, but it sure is nice if you need to get somewhere in a hurry, like when you see a storm brewing over the horizon.

Hope you enjoy your new ride ;)

nice deal, but i would think it under powered with only a 40hp. Great when your alone but get four big guys in there and she'll slow down a bit.

Had a 14 ft aluminum with a 15hp and worked great, but when visitors came to camp to go fishing, I couldn't go to the good spots cause the extra weight (visitors) slowed me down way to much, so we fished closeby and usually didn't do all that well. I now have a 25hp honda 4 stroke, but four big guys still slows me down a bit, but i still get about 18mph, as oppose to 8mph with the 15.

I can’t comment on the price because I have no idea what that boat goes for. As for the boat having too much horse power. You can never have too much power. That extra power will come in handy when you have it loaded up with a couple of buddies & their gear. I have a 35HP motor on my 14’5” Sea Nymph, which is the max HP rating for my boat & it’s still not enough power.