Ice Tragedy In Scarborough

douG

It is a terrible tradgedy indeed. I feel very sorry for the Parents of that 11 year old boy, but the neighbourhood calling for destruction of the pond does not make any sense to me.

They said it has been there for 5 years now, and probably serves a good purpose for flood control. This pond is something that could be a true benefit to the area in more ways than one.

The real need is for education. These people need to be taught about the perils and hazards of early winter ice. Accidents can always still happen, but destruction of this pond is not the answer.

I hope this does not come off as insensitive, but I always hate it when everyone jumps to rash decisions and starts calling for an end to these things because of an unfortunate accident.

Its like when a poor kid gets hurt tobogganing in a place where they never should have been, and people start calling for toboggan hills all over to be shut down and the activity banned! makes no sense!

I'd like to see inflatable lifejackets in police cruisers. Had one of the officers had one, he could have been tethered and taken the plunge. Cold, yes...but when a life is in obvious peril, it isn't a difficult decision.

All Police Cars have a removable back seat that functions as a floatation device.

Two officers did in fact 'take the plunge' in an attempt to rescue one of the children. One officer went under three or four times searching the 20' deep water for the child until others arrived to help.

All Police Cars have a removable back seat that functions as a floatation device.

Two officers did in fact 'take the plunge' in an attempt to rescue one of the children. One officer went under three or four times searching the 20' deep water for the child until others arrived to help.

That is good to know and certainly different than the news story I saw portrayed it...but that shouldn't surprise me.

I always have my inflator in the car and 100ft of rope with it.