Nearly got scamed

Big Cliff

A guy called the shop the other day and wanted to know if we sold snow blowers. I said yes and he asked if I would be interested in buying a used one. He went on to explain that it was only one year old, in excellent condition, and the modle he gave me was one that had sold for $1299.00. He told me he was selling it because he was moving into an apartment and would accept any reasonable offer. I asked him what he would consider "reasonable" and he told me he had been trying to get $600.00 for it but would take $500.00 but he was moving the next morning. I got his phone # and told him I'd call back in an hour.

I thought about it but I already have all the stock I can afford right now so decided to pass on it even though it was a really good deal so I called him back, he then told me he'd go as low as $400.00 as he had nowhere to take it to so I called a friend and he decided it was just too good a deal to pass up. My friend called first thing next morning but a woman answered. She seemed really surprised by the call and asked where he'd gotten her number from. He explained and she called me. Turns out this guy was just renting a room from her, the snow blower was hers, and this guy had skipped out early that morning taking her snow blower with him. Fortunatly the cops have tracked him and the snow blower down and he has been charged with theft but it just goes to show how easily you can get taken! If I had bought that snow blower I could have been out the money and not had the equipment.

Just be careful what you do buy from someone you don't know!

BC as soon has I seen what he wanted for it the "lights went on", something is fishy . . . buyer be ware, years ago I was approached by a guy dressed to the hilt who said he just finished a clothing trade show and didn't want to take any merchandise back to Milan and was willing to part with leather coats for $150.00 each. Nice looking stuff but "stollen"right off the dock. Glad it worked out for you and the lady.

BC as soon has I seen what he wanted for it the "lights went on", something is fishy . . . buyer be ware, years ago I was approached by a guy dressed to the hilt who said he just finished a clothing trade show and didn't want to take any merchandise back to Milan and was willing to part with leather coats for $150.00 each. Nice looking stuff but "stollen"right off the dock. Glad it worked out for you and the lady.

I was approached by the same guy in a CTC parking lot a few years ago trying to scam me he could hardly speak english or so it seemed but he seemed to understand the most famous two words in the english language pretty good F*** O**.

If it seems to good to be true thats because it is.