More 6+lb Simcoe Smallies.... pics

Slayingm

Wow... after fishing this World-class body of water for the past 30yrs it still amazes me year after year. After winning the 2-day Fall Challenge Bass tournament on Couch a couple of weeks ago I was back out guiding on Simcoe last week and took another smallie over 6lbs.... this one came in at 6lbs 6oz on the Normark scale and was my 5th simcoe SM between 6 and 7lbs this year.

100_0133.jpg

My Personal best on the lake came last year during day 3 of the New Ark Open out of Barrie when I weighted in a 7.23lb SM.... I think the fish in this lake just keep on getting bigger and honestly believe a new Ontario record is in the making out there.

Also hit a couple of my Cook's bay fall LM spots a couple of days ago and one of then was loaded. Most of the fish were taken on tubes in 18 to 25' of water.... here is a pic on one of the typical 4lb fish we were catching... man they are clean and pretty out there.... not a mark on them.

000_0364-5.jpg

Can't wait for the BPS Open on Oct 27th.... should be fun trying to break that 30lb (6lb average for 5 SM) on the lake.

With the colder temps and lake turnover the upcoming weeks should provide some of the best big fish action of the year.... don't miss out on it... get out there and enjoy!!

Good luck out there and remember to be safe...... Greg.

Nice Smallie! I remember seeing it on WFN when you got the 7.23 lbs smallie that was a HOG! Nice fish, I was also wondering which you would recommend to fish for big smallies this time of year more main lake Simcoe or Couchiching? PM if you can thanks!

Nice bass Greg. B)

I personally think the next Ontario or Michigan record is going to come out of Lake St. Clair. Simcoe has those whitefish for the smallies to eat so it’s possible the next record could come out of there but my money is on St. Clair.

Nice bass Greg. B)

I personally think the next Ontario or Michigan record is going to come out of Lake St. Clair. Simcoe has those whitefish for the smallies to eat so it’s possible the next record could come out of there but my money is on St. Clair.

St. Clair has some nice fish, but how often do you see 20 pound bags out of St. Clair ?? Occasionally, but a 20 pound bag will win you the tournament there. A 20 pound bag on Simcoe will put you in about 20th place. The reason is simple... forage. St. Clair smallies eat up the perch.

Simcoe is deeper and is home to oilier, fatty based forage such as herring, baby whities. Of course they will eat perch, but they have access to these fatty based fish which help them bulk up.

Couchiching and Simcoe are attached, but Simcoe smallies are way bigger on average, for the same reason. Forage on Cooch is mostly perch, crayfish and blackchin shiners, no real fat to those fish.

Next record will be on Simcoe. Mark my words.

Actually following the weights of recent (2006 & 2007) St. Clair tournaments, the weights there are way up. 25+ is very possible. This is St. Clair, not Erie fish we're talking about.

But record wise I still think it will probably be caught on a lesser known, lesser pressured lake. I hear of super giants being caught and or lost up north.

The late fall weights on Simcoe are really ginormous, but not much different than Erie. Those Erie smallies have grown huge on gobies and last year there were several events where 28 and 29 lbs were topped.

I know of an 8-2 (mid-summer!!!!!) landed on Erie in a tournament this year and a 9-1 that was landed prior to the trophy season opener on Erie. That 8-2 in the late fall when they are gorging will be approaching the record weight I'd think.

Lake Ontario's smallies are starting to grow up too. Recent 24 and 23 lb sacks of smallies coming out of relatively untapped Lake O shows that the potential is there for some big sacks and big fish there too.

Charles

Nice Smallie! I remember seeing it on WFN when you got the 7.23 lbs smallie that was a HOG! Nice fish, I was also wondering which you would recommend to fish for big smallies this time of year more main lake Simcoe or Couchiching? PM if you can thanks!

Minnow,

As the lake turns over look for SM to migrate to the deeper secondary drops in the main lake. Dragging heavy tubes, drop shotting and jigg'n spoons will all work. Stick to Simcoe if your looking for a true trophy and work depths in the 25 to 40' range..... Good Luck... Greg.

Thanks Brian, I think I'm suffering withdrawl! hav'nt fished in almost 2 weeks-had to shake the pneumonia! working in this weather is just torture! I just drove to the launch in Innisfil and Simcoe looked great! ll rods are rigged -I feel myself getting the shakes, you may just see us out there on Sun. also Brian the forecast looks awseome!

Some very respectable fish there! I think it is safe to say you have Simcoe dialed in, Perch, Bass, Lakers or Whitey's you get 'em all.

Did you have to fizz any of the smallies coming out of deep water Greg? If so, what do you find is the best tool for that?

Tony