Survivorman

blaque

I also enjoy Survivorman when I catch an episode. Some very practical tips! He really focuses each show on a particular situation and covers a lot of information.

Recommended if you haven't seen it before. I think it's on OLN regularly.

Yes, its on OLN up there for you guys. He was up in the snow and cold of Temagami in this episode, and had a small airplane wreck helicoptered in to use as his shelter. (half a cesna i believe) He set up shop right on the shoreline, used the battery and some fuel left in the tank to start a fire. Two metal prongs , one from the neg. and one from the positive, touching them together to get a spark and doin so in a cup of fuel. And wammo, he had fire without matches. He even went so far as to pretend he hurt one arm, put one in a sling and did everything one handed for a few days, he got sick of that and abandoned the fake injury and elected to use both arms the rest of the week lol. Hes definitely better than man vs. wild. lol

Edited by Blaque

Yes, I saw that episode on Lake Temagami.

At the end of the show, he commented that it was one of the harshest enviro's he had been in. He tried cutting a hole in the ice, and if I recall, he couldn't get through.

Hey, I recall that episode too, not that I watch it often. I recall him snaring a rabbit, that was cool, especially after it made it a mitt.

It is an Old episode.. 2 years ago if I remember correctly.. Les Stroud is a hell of a guy, I chatted with him briefly... One of my personal favourite shows he has done is "Off the Grid"

As for the episode in question... I did not realize until watching it one can die living off of rabbit alone..

Interesting.

Gerritt.

Hit up Youtube and search Les Stroud Off the Grid.. enjoy the show..

Edited by Gerritt

I did not realize until watching it one can die living off of rabbit alone.

think he called it "rabbit starvation" because of the lack of fat in the meat (unless you eat the organs etc). Personally, I'd rather die of "beaver feaver"...don't know what it might be, but sounds like it might be a fun ride

beaver fever = Giardiasis ....trust me you dont want it!!

Hence the reasons "real" cottagers blast beavers with buckshot that make homes in the cribs of their boat houses..

I shudder at the thought of getting it...

Gerritt.

Les is great...have seen each episode many times. Survivorman is SOOOO much better than the other knock-off...Man vs. Wild. The goof on that show never sits still...it always looks like he has ants in his pants. He's always running or moving quickly to get to somewhere, but he has no where to go.

I've heard Les has a 2-hour or more show/movie about when he and his family when "off-grid" in northern Canada, but I haven't seen it yet. The new shows are pretty good (especially the Alaska episode), but the Temagami plane crash show will always be my favorite.

And i have to say one thing..........from the shows ive seen.........that guy has THE absolute worst luck fishing. He tries it on many shows.........Alaska, (with a dead fish on a "hook" he tried making out of glass, and then one out of plastic)=no fish................Amazon jungle (i think) , made a pop top hook, and fished with a butterfly and also tried "noodling"= no fish..................Temagami, tried getting a hole in the ice unsuccesfully= no fish. Man hes the king of Skunk lol

And i have to say one thing..........from the shows ive seen.........that guy has THE absolute worst luck fishing. He tries it on many shows.........Alaska, (with a dead fish on a "hook" he tried making out of glass, and then one out of plastic)=no fish................Amazon jungle (i think) , made a pop top hook, and fished with a butterfly and also tried "noodling"= no fish..................Temagami, tried getting a hole in the ice unsuccesfully= no fish. Man hes the king of Skunk lol

LOL...my wife said the same thing when we were watching Surviorman Amazon.

He made a catfish trap in the swamp down south and baited with a half eaten frog for catfish...I thought that was pretty cool. He didn't get a catfish, but I think he trapped a turtle. He did speared a fish with a trident in the tropic. We watch all the rerun too..

We're lucky to have all the modern equipment for the business.