Toronto Pike report and pictures

Shaun Rickard

After a busy weekend at the Legends on the Bay event on Georgian Bay my good mate Dan and I decided to get out on the big Lake O and try for some pike yesterday morning.

I have to tell you, I'm glad we did. the fishing was on fire and the pike were hungry. In just over 4 hours we managed to boat over 15 Pike, we missed and saw at least that many again 8)

Not only were the Pike feeding but they were feeding exceptionally aggressively, absolutely inhaling our lures - Pictures below.

We threw everything from Husky Jerks, X-Raps and soft plastics to Kick 'n' Minnows and spinnerbaits, they ate the lot! Colour choices didn't seem to matter, anything from silver/black, Perch, purple, white and shad patterns worked well.

We noticed that some of the fish were quite pale in comparison to other fish, it's my theory that these fish had recently moved in from the deeper open water to stage before entering some of the bays around the harbour area over the winter months. One large fish even had a lamprey mark on it's back, a likely sign that this particular pike had likely been cruising the open water chasing schools of bait, much like a trout or salmon.

Water temps on top were around 62F, fast retrieves worked better early as the sun got higher a medium twitch pause retrieve worked best for us.

Fall can be a great time to hook into a trophy pike; they're a lot of fun to catch on bass tackle that's for sure. Pictures below.

Cheers, Shaun

Pike_-_Toronto_1.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_2.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_5.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_4.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_7.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_12.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_15.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_14.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_10.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_16.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_17.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_18.jpg

pike_-_toronto_9.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_19.jpg

Pike_-_Toronto_20.jpg

Wow excellent report and awesome pics. Congratulations on the great catch of pike. Good to see you were using a few of the lures I've got in my tackle box too! Will be trying them out very soon but from shore.

Thanks for sharing

We noticed that some of the fish were quite pale in comparison to other fish, it's my theory that these fish had recently moved in from the deeper open water to stage before entering some of the bays around the harbour area over the winter months.

That one real pale fish looks like it has some genetic mix, with the black flecks on its cheeks etc.

Lots of big unmarked pike there. The Toronto waterfront could be one of the better pike spots in North America.

It is even better to fish it from a boat, the harbour license thing puts a cap on that however for most folk.

ehg

Man, I miss those Pike! Great job guys! Toronto angler, those pike already are in the harbor. They've been in for some time. You just need to do some leg work to find the good weed beds. Try from the base of spadina all the way to the Death Star over by that second cup. Drag bottom with a spoon till you find nice green weeds and then sink an X-rapp or a huskie down. They're there!

FHR

Wow, those are some nice fish! and great pictures !!! Thanks for sharing those Shaun, and I hope the weekend went well, I'm still waiting for your report ;)

Maureen

Maureen, the weekend went great thanks, I actually put a report up on here yesterday, here's the link: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11608

Cheers, Shaun