Soaring Loonie (NF)

Golfisher

Yup!! The Greenback is now the new Monopoly money.

I guess the lineups at the border will be pretty long now with everyone going cross border shopping.

And more Canadian workers will be losing their jobs because of the strong currency as well as a few fishing lodges will probably be closing as it's getting very pricey for americans to come north to fish.

I was talking to a fella down in Texas today. Looking to see where my replacement rod was. He asked what he was to do with the Canadian 20 I sent down for the return frieght.(first off it only cost me 13 cdn to send it down UPS. I laughed and told him to hang on to it as it was worth more then his currency.He laughed but I said check it out for yourself.While were chatting away,he,s checking the web and he couldnt believe it. He never followed the market and was surprised. Told him to keep the change as a tip.LOL

Now how many of us can say we told an american to keep the change.LOL

And more Canadian workers will be losing their jobs because of the strong currency as well as a few fishing lodges will probably be closing as it's getting very pricey for americans to come north to fish.

Just a thought here. MAYBE THE LODGES WILL CATER TO THIER OWN LIKE THEY SHOULD NOW,INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR THE ALMIGHTY POWERFUL AMERICAN DOLLAR. Just a thought.

Edited by misfish

Yup!! The Greenback is now the new Monopoly money.

I guess the lineups at the border will be pretty long now with everyone going cross border shopping.

Yup...Cheap tackle!!!

$6.99 for these babies! at Cabelas.com

i121703sn01.jpg

I just paid $9.99 for one at a local tackle shop, plus gas money and tax :stretcher:

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I recently bought a Curado from an American site for $165, and that's including S&H. The same reel at LB goes for $259, and that's before tax.

Retailers really need to adjust their pricing to better reflect the loonie's strength, not just tackle shops but pretty much everyone--especially car makers!

bigbuck it's going to have to get a lot worst to stop me from coming up.

misfish a couple places in NWO that I have been to have personally told me that even exchange they would still rather cater to US patrons because we come to fish and appreciate more. Don't want to start a big debate just relaying what was said to me personally.

What comes around goes around, in 1973 for every dollar I took out of my pocket across the border I had to give up a dime.

Cheers

bigbuck it's going to have to get a lot worst to stop me from coming up.

misfish a couple places in NWO that I have been to have personally told me that even exchange they would still rather cater to US patrons because we come to fish and appreciate more. Don't want to start a big debate just relaying what was said to me personally.

What comes around goes around, in 1973 for every dollar I took out of my pocket across the border I had to give up a dime.

Cheers

Thats cool Whopper. I know a few that have said the same thing,just didnt think it was the CAnadian thing thats all.I love meeting up with you guys from accross the boarder. I remember a time,4am in the morning .I get up and theres the boys from the south cooking up a breakfast made for a king. Invited me over for some vittles and even went fishing with them.Great guys.

You can keep your GW Ohio.LOL

My wife and I are heading to the Dominican next week for our 1st anniversary, so I have to exchange money as well!

I think I will hold off for another day or two, to see if I can actually "get" instead of "pay" for money this time!

Its been a long time coming.

Last time I went to Florida with my family (5-6yrs ago) we were getting 50-something cents per dollar. INSANE!

Just like everyone else, I will be hitting up ebay, BPS, and Cabela's!!

I think our money should be worth more anyways, because its much better looking! :lol:

Thats cool Whopper. I know a few that have said the same thing,just didnt think it was the CAnadian thing thats all.I love meeting up with you guys from accross the boarder. I remember a time,4am in the morning .I get up and theres the boys from the south cooking up a breakfast made for a king. Invited me over for some vittles and even went fishing with them.Great guys.

You can keep your GW Ohio.LOL

There may some truth that some will stop coming up, Heck in just this area alone if they did you guys would have Rice Lake all to yourselves.

GW is from Texas lol

Brian this may be off subject but I know a lot of the Canadians on your side of Lake Erie really appreciate what the State Of Ohio does for the fishery on the big lake.

Just a thought here. MAYBE THE LODGES WILL CATER TO THIER OWN LIKE THEY SHOULD NOW,INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR THE ALMIGHTY POWERFUL AMERICAN DOLLAR. Just a thought.

I've seen far more advertising for Canadian Lodges in the states than I ever have in Canada. I've never actually seen an ad around home besides a few that they try to sell at BPS in T.O. The only way I hear about lodges is through the shows on WFN.

M

Guest Johnny Bass
I recently bought a Curado from an American site for $165, and that's including S&H. The same reel at LB goes for $259, and that's before tax.

Retailers really need to adjust their pricing to better reflect the loonie's strength, not just tackle shops but pretty much everyone--especially car makers!

I totally agree Golfisher! A strong loonie should be good for us, and since our loonie as increased by a minimum of 30 cents a dollar? You would expect prices to come down but they havent. Lower prices would mean more sales and a stronger economy!

As far as lodges go? Maybe now they will make their prices more reasonable and provide better service.

Yanks wont declare war on us...Our government has been selling off our assets/resources to foreigners for years now. They dont have to declare war because they own everything in Canada.....

Who knows...Maybe they will make us a state, but I hope we can keep our health care system!!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Who knows...Maybe they will make us a state, but I hope we can keep our health care system!!

Thats the one thing that we CANADIANS have, GREAT HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

But lets not get crazy here. Im sure there are the older generation that can tell us about the dollar getting close to par and the events that happen back when.

Johnny,I like my health care. I sure and the hell dont want to have to take a loan out to see my Doc.LOL

Easy my American friends.Just poop chat,n.LOL

Edited by misfish

Wow isn't it great the loonie is at par.... actually no it isn't. Ever hear of the sterling truck plant? They have been looking at getting out of Canada for a long time and now have the best excuse they ever had. Higher wages then their US plants, more benefits and social programs to pay into etc etc etc. Multiply that by the closings of other US auto companies facilities or the reduction of shifts. I know Toyota is building a plant but will they have a union? I will guarantee you that if the current trend lasts for the long run there will be plenty of manufacturing jobs lost to Mexico, and other "lesser " emerging nations. Companies are in business to make money not please workers and/or give into their demands. Unless you are in an energy Provence people that loose their manufacturing jobs can work at the corner variety store with it's high wages and fantastic benefits, or better yet the Saviour of the Canadian job market..."The Phone Center industry". ( remember the Government keeps telling us about all the new job openings )

The poor retailer is in the middle. Not lowering prices as they are trying to make up for all their past losses when the loonie was low, it's a catch 22. I will make a prediction that if the loonie does not decline by Christmas, border community retailers will be hit and hit hard at Christmas time. Why do I feel this way because when I was in business it happened before. The Exodus to Port Huron Michigan at Christmas was daily for weeks prior to the holiday. Don't get me wrong I fully understand people want to get the best deal, and I shop in the States myself but to think that the present loonie will not have an adverse effect on the economy in time just is not true.

Just got an idea, get into the travel business and starting in November organize shopping bus trips to border communities in the States...bet you could make a bundle on that one!

Edited by Garyv