Portable Fishfinders Which One?

Bassnbows

Whats with this portable thing :blahblah1::blahblah1:

All depth finders are portable.You just have to modify abit and there ya go.I have been using the same one now 5 years.It wasnt a portable as you call it.It was off the boat.Made a small carring box,made a holder for the trassducer and there ya go.

I would look into a used one and do up a bag/box. As for power,12 volt gel cell works awesome.

port.jpg

Edited by misfish

I've had a few portable units.

The Fish'n Buddy and fish'n' Buddy 2 are crap.

I made a dash mount unit portable and used it for a few seasons.

It was not easily setup and the battery is a pain to drag around.

Now, I have the Hummingbird Pirana Max 10.

It's the best I've used so far.

It is very easy to carry and set up. I get over 10 hours of use on ice with 8 rechargable "aa". I hard wire it to the electric troll motor for the summer.

I even use it in the canoe.

I got it at a trade show for $125.

The retail is probly $200

Any questions PM me.

CX

Like misfish said, any sonar can be used as a portable unit, just takes the use of an appropriate battery, and the sealed lead acids work just fine.

But, the use of LCD's in winter months is limited to temperature. They can be really slow displaying, or not work at all if not protected.

I have used my eagle Fish I.D. in winter, in warmer temps, but not in anything less than -10C. Don't want to risk damage to it in colder temps.

I don't own a flasher yet, may not even buy one, I know my area pretty well.

Ive been using a Humminbird 4000 for years on the ice ... works great .. recently it died so I got the 40004D (good to 400 feet) I know its old technology but it works great out in the minus 20 degree weather and runs for a couple of days with two of the 6 volt flashlight batteries so I am sticking with it ... the reason I like it as a protable is that the whole thing fits into a handy sturdy case ... also with the clamp adapter for the transducer I can put it on virtually any boat come softwater time.

I think if I was buying new Id probably agree wth the eagle/lowrance especially if I was opting for the GPS combo ...