Boat trouble HELP!!!

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

I was driving my boat and the engine seems like it was dying out,on and off all day! Like when it is about to run out of gas. And then it would start up again....Did I put too much oil mix in the gas and clog up something? Is it my impeller? Is it a fuel filter???

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Will check it out.I took apart the propeller and found some small coils of braided line in there but I doubt that could have been it???

The thing is that it runs ok for 10-15 minutes then it starts to choke. Then I stop. Rev up the throttle and proceed. If it was ventilation problem or gas line problem, wouldn't it be a steady problem?

Edited by Johnny Bass

Any chance of a bad thermostat/overheat problem? Sounds like it runs long enough to get hot.......bogs......cools down and then goes again until it gets hot.....

Just a thought anyway. That happened to me a few years ago. Still a cheap fix but a PITA just the same

Bill

Guest Johnny Bass
I'm no expert Johnny by any means, but I had a similar thing happen last year and it ended up being the fuel filter.

I know there are fuel filters on 4 stroke butcan you change a fuel filter on a 2 stroke?

Hey bassboy. When your engine over heats, isn't there an alarm that goes off?

Plus I dont let it cool down. i dont even turn off the engine. I just prime up the primer or whatever its called. Rev it a few times and take off.

Is there any chance that small coil of braided line could have been the problem???

I know there are fuel filters on 4 stroke butcan you change a fuel filter on a 2 stroke?

Plus I dont let it cool down. i dont even turn off the engine. I just prime up the primer or whatever its called. Rev it a few times and take off.

Is there any chance that small coil of braided line could have been the problem???

It's not likely the braid but good job getting it out.

If you are priming it's definitly fuel related. For about $40 you can replace the filter, fuel line and primer bulb and likely solve your problem. Less likely but possible is a weak fuel pump or plugged gas tank vent.

-Brian

oh now that you gave a better description of whats going on make model HP would help as well ,its definatly fuel and its possibly as simple as a new primer bulb,dont use the aftermarket scrap put a genuine Oem back on it,also run the engine on a seperate 5 gallon tank with a different hose and known clean fuel to determine further

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

fuel filter should be changed. But i recently had my little 6 hp bogging because of a small leak on gas line but it was not leaking gas it was pulling air bubbles in and loosing siphon. Check for loose but not leaking lines or just change them and be done they are cheap to do.

I had a 2-stroke 40 HP merc a few years back. As long as I was just running along at, say trolling speed, the engine would run fine. As soon as I gave it the gas, it would run for maybe 15 seconds or so, then stall out - just like it was out of gas. Pump the bulb and it would start up fine. I could repeat this process consistently. When I took it to the marina, it ended up being a one-way valve next to the gas tank that got plugged up. Taking care of this one little valve solved our problem.

If its an older motor it may not...It was a 25 HP Yamaha I had the problem with. Thermostat stuck closed and it would overheat. Stop the motor for a bit and it would be ok for 10 minutes or so more. Was out in the middle of Moira lake when it happened.....was lucky someone stopped to give me a tow to the marina.

My new Merc has an alarm so bloody loud you can hear it clear across the other side of the lake. Second day I had the thing out on the water the cooling system packed it in......and there is no way you could miss the alarm. Needless to say I let it cool....restarted it and it was fine idling...enough so to get me over to someone to ask for help (after they already went by me as I was waving my hands above my head frantically to get them to stop....to which they replied with a wave and kept going for a bit.). The odd part about it was that I took it back to where I bought it, and they could not find anything wrong with it. Had no problems since then either (touch wood).

Bill

If its an older motor it may not...It was a 25 HP Yamaha I had the problem with. Thermostat stuck closed and it would overheat. Stop the motor for a bit and it would be ok for 10 minutes or so more. Was out in the middle of Moira lake when it happened.....was lucky someone stopped to give me a tow to the marina.

My new Merc has an alarm so bloody loud you can hear it clear across the other side of the lake. Second day I had the thing out on the water the cooling system packed it in......and there is no way you could miss the alarm. Needless to say I let it cool....restarted it and it was fine idling...enough so to get me over to someone to ask for help (after they already went by me as I was waving my hands above my head frantically to get them to stop....to which they replied with a wave and kept going for a bit.). The odd part about it was that I took it back to where I bought it, and they could not find anything wrong with it. Had no problems since then either (touch wood).

Bill

something to do with needing to properly break the motor in I am thinking...

something to do with needing to properly break the motor in I am thinking...

The motor was broken in the day before in excess of the manuals instructions. Manual called for varying throttle for first hour of operation but not wide open, and second hour was similar with short bursts of WOT. The engine was run at varying throttle (but not WOT) for 2 hours and similar for the three hour and next half hour mark with occasional WOT. Explained this to the dealer and was told that was more than adequate. They checked the engine over and found nothing to be out of the ordinary....so them and me are still none the wiser....

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. I am close to 100% sure it is gas related. I'm thinking its the filter because I have been putting extra oil mix with the gasoline to make it run better(so I thought).....

I have a Yamaha 40 H.P. and it does have an Alarm so I know its not overheating.

I think I'm gonna call BPS for a fuel filter and on my next fishing trip may hit a smaller lake and see what happens.....

Guest mistyriver1
I have a Yamaha 40 H.P. and it does have an Alarm so I know its not overheating.

I think I'm gonna call BPS for a fuel filter and on my next fishing trip may hit a smaller lake and see what happens.....

Johnny, don't bother with BPS for Yamaha parts. I was up there yesterday looking for a replacement prop (I have a 25 HP Yamaha), they only service and carry Mercury parts.

Overmixing with oil is as bad as undermixing... stick with the manufacturers recomendations. Overmixing is not likely to foul your filter but could slime up the small jets on your carbs. Again, I don't think that is your issue. I still maintain a gas line leak sucking air and losing fuel pressure. Keep us updated.

-Brian

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. I will let you know how it went. Hope it goes better than the trailer tire replacement. Canadian tire screwed me up a few times. And when I finally went to tire craft I woke up the next day with a flat!I actually had to put the trailer on blocks 4 times!!!!

Hey JB, is the gas in your tank fresh? It could be a bad batch of gas. I had a very similar situation with my engine earlier this year. It only took one tank to do it in. I filled a full tank before I got on the water and maybe 20min of runtime later the motor was stalling/revving real high on idle/not getting full throttle when in gear. Turned out to be bad gas. By itself the gas was fine. But as soon as there was some agitation, the gas and oil would separate. The mechanic that worked on the motor suggested using mid-grade gas and stabilizer everytime. Also suggested using premium oil. Something to do with ash clogging jets... Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guest Johnny Bass
Hey JB, is the gas in your tank fresh? It could be a bad batch of gas. I had a very similar situation with my engine earlier this year. It only took one tank to do it in. I filled a full tank before I got on the water and maybe 20min of runtime later the motor was stalling/revving real high on idle/not getting full throttle when in gear. Turned out to be bad gas. By itself the gas was fine. But as soon as there was some agitation, the gas and oil would separate. The mechanic that worked on the motor suggested using mid-grade gas and stabilizer everytime. Also suggested using premium oil. Something to do with ash clogging jets... Hope this helps. Good luck.

I assume the gas in my tank is ok...I tried switching to the other tank(new batch) and still had some problems....

Maybe it had to do with those heavy rainfalls I got stuck in. Maybe a lot of water made it into the gas tanks and into the engine??

I looked for a fuel filter but cant find it. Do Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke engines have a fuel filter?