Magnetawan River Canoe Trip

seansmith_smith

My Girlfriend and started a 7 day canoe trip on the Magnetawan river on August 12. We started on Wahwashkesh Lake at the government dock. Our first day was interested, getting throughly lost and receiving a tow from a friendly cottager, for about 30 minutes directly in to strong winds.

Day two - we started with a 2300 meter portage from Wahwashkesh Lake around some rapids and back to the river. along the way we passed this guy. He might be difficult to see but he's a rattle snake, i'm assuming the Massassauga Rattle snake.

kristamagnetewan07095.jpg

The portage ended at a bridge that crossed the river. We met some people from a nearby hunt camp who told us they had just seen a small bear. This is the view from the bridge.

kristamagnetewan07078.jpg

We paddled a fair distance that day and ended up on Trout Lake. along the way we found this waterfall just off the main river section.

kristamagnetewan07097.jpg

We made it to our campsite and set up for three nights. The water was 4 to 5 feet lower than usual, and although there were plenty of beaver lodges, most of them didn't reach the water, and there were no beavers to be seen. These pictures show just how low the water was. you can see the holes the beavers usually use to swim in and out of the lodge a re completely above the water now.

kristamagnetewan07010.jpg

kristamagnetewan07007.jpg

The area was logged 80 to 90 years ago, and there were plenty of visible logs from the era and logging artifacts like these ones at our campsite.

kristamagnetewan07036.jpg

We made a few day trips to different part of the river, and small lakes with short portages that we were able to locate using Google earth images of the area. We caught a few pike, lots of smallmouth and even found one lake with largemouth as well. Here are some of the pictures.

kristamagnetewan07024.jpg

kristamagnetewan07013.jpg

kristamagnetewan07014.jpg

kristamagnetewan07030.jpg

This is the biggest smallmouth I caught. only 18.5 inches, but really fat. And it had two similar sized fish swim with him during the fight! I guessed his weight at 4.5 - 5 lbs...any guesses??

kristamagnetewan07016.jpg

kristamagnetewan07018.jpg

We ate fish one night...here it is cooking up.

kristamagnetewan07021.jpg

We finished our trip one day early because the protected bays were filling up with smoke from a probable forest fire, and with the dry conditions and heavy winds we were taking no chances.

We stayed for 3 nights at a lodge just south of Temagami and caught these four nice smallmouth there.

kristamagnetewan07120.jpg

Great canoe trip and fantastic fishing.

Awesome report!

I've paddled the Mag myself a couple of times, exact same route starting at Wawashkesh.

Did you guys run Canal rapids? I had a blast running those rapids both times I was there.

Mind you the water levels were higher and most of the hazzards were burried underwater,

so it was basically just throw out a brace and hang on :D .

We didnt try running the rapids....but i dont think there would be enough water....just soooo low. We portaged the 2300 meters around them....and then lined the graves rapids, which were very low as well.

i think if i were to go there again i would go in from the south. less portaging....more paddling...

ya when i was looking at the fish i thought it was longer, and figured 4 to 5 lbs...but it was really fat.

Edited by -Smitty-

Great report! Just like home! You guys obviously had a blast! Some cold nights, eh? I spent my entire life on the Magnetawan system throughout cottage seasons. Love it! The system is beautiful, even when the water is at low levels. It must have been terrible to pass the boat through many sections. When the river is at higher levels, the paddling becomes almost world class. It's easy to make a fatal mistake. I severely dislocated my shoulder while white water kayaking upside down in a wave in a section a little east of hwy 69. Managed to paddle a couple km's with one arm downstream to the highway, drive 30 km's, and stopped to have an ambulance take me to Parry Sound. Did you come out at Harris Lake? That's a massive smallmouth! At what section of the route did you notice the smoke? Did my cottage catch on fire?!!!!

Disco Phish

We put in at Wawashkesh Lake....paddles down to Trout Lake and decided to do day trips from there and head back out the way we came. We were going to do a loop and come in the south end of Wawashkesh again....but decided not to. We noticed the smoke on Trout Lake, but it was extremely windy, and as far as i know...the knoly forest fires burning west of there at that time were in Wawa, and although i've seen smoke from several hundred miles away, im not sure that it was from the Wawa fire. I hope you cottage was ok...pretty sure it was.

knoly forest fires burning west of there at that time were in Wawa, and although i've seen smoke from several hundred miles away, im not sure that it was from the Wawa fire. I hope you cottage was ok...pretty sure it was.

I think that the Wawa smoke would have dissipated over Huron before it reached Sudbury, if the winds were from the north. I haven't yet heard of any fire, so I will assume that all is well on the lake. Thanks for the heads up.

We will be back again to Wawashkesh for a week trip. Fishing is tough on that lake. Hopefully we can get into some laker action if we get the riggers on the boat in time.