Awesome weekend at Chemong Lake!! Kids Fishing Derby!!

ccmtcanada

A good friend of mine invited us up to his trailer up on Chemong Lake in the Kawarthas for the weekend. This was our frist time up there and we had a BLAST! His two daughters were there and my little one had LOTS of fun swimming, playing, watching movies, and of course fishing! Perfect weather on Friday and Saturday...and it started to rain as we were packing up to head back home on Sunday.

On Saturday, there was a fishing derby. Over 70 kids had registered and it was a ton of fun. The trailer park organized this FREE event. Each kid got a hat and a bag full of candies and toys for participating. The kids were divided up in to two groups....ages 3 to 6 and then 7 to 12. My little one competed in the first group...she's 5. Here's a group shot just before the lines hit the water.

kidstourney.jpg

She did fantastic! The little kids only had 30 minutes to fish and she ended up with 11 fish in that little time! The winning kid had 15, but that placed her in Second Place...a great accomplishment for her first time in a derby. We were very proud of her!!

Here's a few shots of the action...the first...and her secret was that she hand picked all her bait. The second pic shows her intently waiting for her float to go down....

sydpickworms.jpg

sydtourney.jpg

Bly and I went out in my buddy's boat a few times while we were there, and while no BIG fish were caught, we did manage to waste away a bunch of hours relaxing and chatting out on the water. Here's a few shots of our catches...

My buddy with a largie...

1stnightcorybass.jpg

The first time ever for me...I caught a crappie!! LOL.

1stnightcliffcrappie.jpg

Our order of Jumla's came in just in time for this trip, and while I didn't have much luck with them, bly was trying to see just how many species she could catch with them. Here's a short summary....

Largemouth Bass....

carolelargie.jpg

Crappie....

satcarolecrappie.jpg

Walleye.....

carolewalleye.jpg

She also caught Bluegill, Sunfish and Perch...all with those Jumlas!!!

My buddy then took us all out on a great little boat tour. My little one laughed and screamed the whole time. She wants to know when we can get a big and fast boat...LOL.

boating.jpg

Anyhow, my little begged us to head back to the docks to go fishing before we had to leave on Sunday, so after a morning swim and lunch, we headed back down there to see what was hanging around. She caught about 25 fish in about an hour, and not just little baby panfish like the day before. Here was a few of her larger ones....she was very cute.... "DADDEEEEE come here and take this picture...he's HUGE"....LOL. A few of them almost yanked the rod out of her little hands, but she fought them...bringing them back out from under the docks...she was a little pro out there.

sunsydfish3.jpg

sunsydfish2.jpg

sunsydfish.jpg

So, as usual when I fish with the family, I caught the fewest and smalled fish....LOL. I believe the Jumla count was 26 fish....5 species, although Bly may correct me. We all had a GREAT time up there this weekend. The smiles on the kids' faces were all the reward I needed. Now it's back to the reality of the office....UGH!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Sounds like a great weekend.

Looking at that 7th picture (the one titled "Crappie" with the two islands in the background on the right) I'm 95% sure I know where that is (the cameraman is facing the Causeway right?). Anyways, if you're up on Chemong again, try fishing on the north side of the big island in the picture. I've caught all kinds of 2-4lbs LM bass there just swimming around in the thin weed bed. I don't fish Chemong much, but that's the spot my brother and I take my nieces for a quick fish. Another tip, grab some Berkley Power Baits. The kids will be pulling all of sorts of stuff in faster than you can take them off the hook. :D

Sounds like a great weekend.

Looking at that 7th picture (the one titled "Crappie" with the two islands in the background on the right) I'm 95% sure I know where that is (the cameraman is facing the Causeway right?). Anyways, if you're up on Chemong again, try fishing on the north side of the big island in the picture. I've caught all kinds of 2-4lbs LM bass there just swimming around in the thin weed bed. I don't fish Chemong much, but that's the spot my brother and I take my nieces for a quick fish. Another tip, grab some Berkley Power Baits. The kids will be pulling all of sorts of stuff in faster than you can take them off the hook. :D

Close, the cameraman has his back to the causeway in that picture but I think I saw the island that you are referring to....thanks for the tip! If we are able to get back up there will have to try it out...oh and thanks for the tip on the Berkley bait!!!

Close, the cameraman has his back to the causeway in that picture but I think I saw the island that you are referring to....thanks for the tip! If we are able to get back up there will have to try it out...oh and thanks for the tip on the Berkley bait!!!

lol okay so I was wrong about the spot.

Anyways, not that it's important, but the spot I was referring to is north of the Causeway. If you start your boat at the Causeway you'll pass the two islands in the photo. Keep going until the second set of islands and fish on the north side of the big island. I like that spot for the simple reason that it's close to the Causeway where I usually park (I'm sure you know how quickly kids can tire of fishing lol).

Hey Cliff,

I know that exact spot, my brother is up there as well. According to my mom, who just visited him yesterday, one of my brother's sons (he has 3) won his division (Age 7, maybe 8) with 40 sunfish and the largest fish (bass) to give him the double crown! PM me the name of your friend and I'll pass the name to my brother (who's up there every weekend) to see if they'd like to hook up some time.

Glad to see your daughter had fun!

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Hey Cliff,

I know that exact spot, my brother is up there as well. According to my mom, who just visited him yesterday, one of my brother's sons (he has 3) won his division (Age 7, maybe 8) with 40 sunfish and the largest fish (bass) to give him the double crown! PM me the name of your friend and I'll pass the name to my brother (who's up there every weekend) to see if they'd like to hook up some time.

Glad to see your daughter had fun!

Stan

Hey Stan,

I remember that kid! He was a machine....LOL. The younger kids fished for 30 minutes, while the older ones had a full hour. He did a great job out there. The trailer we were at was actually my friend's parents...my friend isn't up there all the time. Nice hearing from you again Stan,

Cliff