Yesterdays Skunk

Jigger

Man what a day yesterday turned out to be. Left the house around 9AM with great visions of one last 'lunge to finish the year. But what happened was entirely different. The drive was great until I got north of Manila. Then the snow came. Pretty much white out conditions limited me to between 60-70km/h and only got worse toward Coboconk.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

I didn't get to the fishing grounds until Noon. The road leading me to the ramp should've given me an idea of what to expect when I got there.

IMG_0200.jpg

I had come this far and brought a shovel and de-icer with me so I set to work. And I worked. Lesson 1) Don't just bring the big plastic shovel, bring the small spade to break the ice.

I got half the ramp cleared and thought I'd give it a go. Lesson 2) FINISH THE JOB!!!

Crept down the ramp a little, pull out. A little more, pull out. a little further....DANG! Stuck. Cleared around the tires and after another 10-15mins got out and proceeded to finish what I should've cleared in the first place. I really questioned myself at this point, but I had come this far and thought that the fishing gods would throw me a bone if I persevered. Finally, I got it clear all the way to the road. Elapsed time from the time I started to the time the ramp was clear, 1hr. But I got the boat in after that. At 1 o'clock.

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Now I was overjoyed that I was on the water and had to find fish, fast! I marked some good fish holding on fast breaks from 20-40fow. So I go to switch one of the rods I had rigged and I guess that I shouldn't have been surprised to find that my musky box was still in my garage at home :dunno: . Brutal. Well, I had four rods in the boat and was forced to use what I had. There was also a few in the storage compartment so I wasn't totally up the creek.

IMG_0210.jpg

Did this for two hours with what I had and then had to pack it in not knowing what kind of driving conditions lay ahead. Turns out it wasn't too bad.

I didn't catch anything, but even if the boat doesn't make another appearance this year it's still one week closer to opening day than if she had gone to bed already :thumbsup_anim: . That may be one of the most humbling?sp? trips I've made, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Take it easy.