Day trip to Pigeon

ehg

Went with Mikeh from this board to try and catch some bass and musky to add

to our teams in the OFC tourney. Was a real nice day, not too windy, a little cloud cover

and comfortable temperatures. So the day showed promise.

Went to our first area and threw topwaters and spinnerbaits and caught some small aggresive bass.

Mike caught a nice 10 in. rock bass on his first few casts.

We ended up catching a bunch of smallies and largemouth as well but nothing big.

Was hoping for some large bass to boost our team totals, but they were all this size.

IMG_0002-10.jpg

IMG_0001-3.jpg

We moved around and tried different spots and Mike caught smallmouth while i caught largemouth for some reason.

Mike finally caught a different fish when he caught this nicely marked little musky.

IMG_0003-10.jpg

After awhile of casting we decided we had enough of small bass and tried trolling for muskies.

Mike put on this lure for this endeavour.

IMG_0006-8.jpg

We trolled in 15-25 ft. of water on the north-east side of Pigeon and Mike had a couple of really nice hits

on that lure but didn't bring em in.

Finally he hooked a good one it jumped, then got tangled around my line as i was reeling in, but quickly was landed in my cradle.

This fish was chunky 38 inch fish.

So everything was ready the OFC.community sign, tape measure, the hooks were removed, cameras ready

for his pictures.

I reach in the cradle to get said fish for pictures and it freaks, next second its gone.

I apologize immediately to Mike for losing this fish.(I've caught and landed 100's of muskie and 100's of pike

with no issues)

I look to my hand area to see my wrist bleeding profusely, not sure how, since it happened in a split second.

After all the care put into its landing, this what the musky gives us, and no picture of it in return.

cut.jpg

Its amazing that we treat those nasty muskies so well! :mellow: Ha!Ha!Ha!

However it was a great day, and i'll be out there again soon.

cheers,

ehg

Edited by ehg

That the reason I wear a pair of cheap weightlifters gloves that I got at Wal Mart (about 8 bucks) -- fingers are free but good protection around the plam and wrists. Not so much afraid of the cut or embedded hooks -- been there for both .... but I would hate a really bad cut to curtial my musky fishing when I am on vacation for 2 weeks at a time.

Great report. Those sure are nice markings on that little musky. Too bad about losing the bigger musky before you could get a pic, but at least it was caught and you'll both have that memory forever. Wonder if the gill plate cut you like that. Make sure you put anticeptic on it. I hear musky slime in a cut can give you blood poisoning.

Joey

I wonder what cut you?

The teeth of the musky cut me.

Great report. Those sure are nice markings on that little musky. Too bad about losing the bigger musky before you could get a pic, but at least it was caught and you'll both have that memory forever. Wonder if the gill plate cut you like that. Make sure you put anticeptic on it. I hear musky slime in a cut can give you blood poisoning.

Joey

Once i got near home i went to a Shoppers Drug Mart and bought some Hydrgeon Peroxide and strips

to seal the wound. The pharmicist suggested i should get a couple of stitches, but its healing nicely now.

This is the first time i was cut by a musky after catching many for last 20 years. The fish started thrashing

as i went to pull it from the cradle for a photo, and some how caught my wrist with it's teeth.

It could have been worse with bigger veins and ligaments very close to being severed.

I have more respect for a muskies potential danger.

Aside from all that we did see dead carp still floating around.

And a thanks to Mikeh for the boat excursion.

cheers,

ehg