Where would you stop on the way to Alberta

KyleM

Well August 13th is fast approaching and Iam getting pretty excited.

As a couple of you know Iam moving out to Grande Prairie Alberta.

I was supposed to be moved by June 1st but due to major issues at

work I decided to stay the extra couple months to sort things out.

Anyways, Iam making the drive alone.

I have decided to venture up the Hearst route instead of taking the Lake Superior shoreline.

Has anyone driven that highway...Iam curious as I dont start work for a few weeks.

I plan on taking my time getting out there and Im gonna try and stop to fish as much as possible.

Anyways, if anyone has some decent info on the drive its much appriciated.

I have done the Lake Superior shoreline tour before so I know what Iam missing.

If anyone wants an adventure Id be happy to take them along....you must find your own way back though LOL :Gonefishing:

Have driven the Canadian route as far as Regina. You are smart to plan ahead and get tips before leaving. Got stuck on the highway late one night searching for a place to sleep. Was scarey enough at night, but even worse in the morning when i could actually see where my Mum and i ended up.

Will reply more when i have the time. When are you leaving?

Well if you're hungry, be sure to stop in at the New Fin Lander in Beardmore. Caesar salad to die for. But whenever you get there, you'll always be a day late. There's a perpetual sign in the restaurant that says "topless waitress tomorrow". I fall for it every time and keep going back, and back, and back.

Man, that's a looooong hump. Drove it a few times, learned that the best time to drive it is night, it's like watching paint dry. Rule one, never let the tank get below half, rule two, when it's at half, fill it up. Even though there's a lot of little "dots" on the prairie map, they may just be 2 grain silos and a gas pump that's not open. If your not into stopping in Calgary/Edmonton and want to save a bit of road time, once you are west of Winnipeg, take #16, Yellowhead highway, from Portage la Prairie westbound. Have a good trip whichever way you go.

Stop at the Esso station just before Haddishville Manitoba and get one of their home made Cinamon rolls - then ask where Tony Stephanition is and go see his Model T collection

Dont stop in Winterpig as noted on an earlier post!!

just came from alberta 4 days ago.

as for fishing ontario has alot of little lakes right near the hwy17, saw people park their cars on the side and fishing the lakes. more north is lake superrior and huron, need boat there for sure. there are couple beaches on these lakes there also near the hwy, saw about 5 cars parked on the side of the road, decided to go for a swim too.

just as you exit ontario, you ride and see same plane fields. no more fishing until you reach alberta. there were couple of lakes or rivers but the smell outside from cows is so bad....

best bet is ontario little lakes

and one more thing dont speed in ontario.

Stick to the North of Superior route. The route up around Cochrane thru Hearst can be depressing. You are going to see some towns that are pretty much abandoned. Its fairly boring, you can only count so many trees. However, the superior route is stunning. I did both last summer.

You can always stop and cast at the Groundhog River and Kap River in Kapuskasing. Use suspending rapalas on long casts. The last time I was there it worked for me. Also the fact you will be going right through Longlac. Have a safe trip and at night use all the lights you have.