Chyrsler mechanics?

bigfish1965

I thought I had this problem licked with my Caravan, but I am baffled now.

I'm getting a noise which is somewhere between a ping and noisy lifters..can't quite tell.

This noise only happens when the outside temperature is above 70F. After an oil change this noise goes away for a week.

So I'm leaning towards the hydraulic lifter noise over the ping. But what would cause the noise within these parameters?

Plugged screen in the oil pan?

How's your oil pressure? do you have a light or guage? how many Km's on the engine?

What grade of oil did

u use , did you use a cheap or a quality filter?

wich engine? 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.8 v6's? or the everbroken 2.4 ,4 cyl.

the pinging can be caused by "getting old plugs'' "pinging" usually a fuel ignition problem.

does this do the noise at a certain RPM or is it in the full range 850-5500.

Try SEAFOAM AUTO&MARINE , it's an additive that works very very well, pour a 1/2 can in your oil

and the other 1/2 in your gas tank.

our mechanics use it every day for most it's the only additive they use or reccomend

available at any Benson' or Napa.

part # SF16 a can should cost between 8.99$ -11.99$.

this stuff will clean out your oil pick up tube & screen assy. if it's the problem you'll find out pretty quick.

i need more engine info.

Caravan is 2001 with 149,000k. It is a 3.3 l

Plugs are platinum..but a bit older.

I have tried in vain to find Sea-Foam in the Niagara Region...others have also suggested it.

The noise is sporatic but is generally upon acceleration when the vehicle is already moving. From a standstill, it is quiet (except for the everpresent power-steering pump whine...stupid Chryslers)

So if I am moving along at 50k and accelerate, that's when I notice it. The warmer it is outside, the more I hear the noise.

Because it isnt there all the time but is affected by temperature makes it difficult to say exactly- especially without hearing the actual noise.. A few thoughts come to mind. As the temperature rises the engine oil tends to thin out allowing oil pressure to drop (it flows out the orifices faster) New oil may hold its viscosity tolerance better until the additives begin to lose their quality. So a Valve lifter may be the issue but why wont it do it at all engine rpm? Maybe a sticking wrist pin causing piston to slap the cylinder wall. Also it may be engine ping under that particular engine load. Possible EGR valve or tubes running to it can cause preignition to occur. Hmmmmmmm more thoughts, gotta think about this one a little, wish I could listen to it. I will check at my shop tomorrow on Alldata for Tech service bulletins Rick.

Because it isnt there all the time but is affected by temperature makes it difficult to say exactly- especially without hearing the actual noise.. A few thoughts come to mind. As the temperature rises the engine oil tends to thin out allowing oil pressure to drop (it flows out the orifices faster) New oil may hold its viscosity tolerance better until the additives begin to lose their quality. So a Valve lifter may be the issue but why wont it do it at all engine rpm? Maybe a sticking wrist pin causing piston to slap the cylinder wall. Also it may be engine ping under that particular engine load. Possible EGR valve or tubes running to it can cause preignition to occur. Hmmmmmmm more thoughts, gotta think about this one a little, wish I could listen to it. I will check at my shop tomorrow on Alldata for Tech service bulletins Rick.

Yeah!... What Bernie said!

You may want to try a 10W40 oil in the summer...if that doesn't work, try an 89 or 93 octane gasoline...

... if that doesn't work... yer sooooo screwed!

Edited by Greencoachdog

that sounds like a ping to me , try new plugs , you don't have to go with a platinum, try again

to find" the foam" any UNI-SELECT member like the corner auto parts store , and ask them to order a can of # 241sf16, Napa usually has it too. Benson Tire down south can get you some.

As stupid as this may sound, I would suggest checking the catalytic converter. Had two of the work vans changed out over the last 3 months. I would have never guessed that was what was causing the pinging/tapping sound from them. It sounded that the noise was definitely engine related but, as i say, turns out only a bad catalytic.

NAPA stores carry Seafoam-its a listed item they can bring in for you if local store manager is not stocking it. Great stuff for cleaning carbon out of 2 stroke engines-nothing better for a decarb. I have no experience putting it in the lube oil as suggested here-would you do an oil change right after the 'flushing process' that way?

The dealer sugested it was a loose manifold the first time it started and they tightened and did an oil change and the issue went away for awihle. But then it came back and goes away after each oil change.

I will start cheaper and work my way up. Seafoam, plugs and see what happens! I as thinking of an EGR valve too, but I can't quite tell if it is lifter or ping..it almost sounds like both.

and that my friends is why I will never buy a Chrysler product again..

Sorry Rick that I have nothing useful to add to your thread... but I hear more people having issues with Chrysler then any other manufacture

Gerritt.

I checked on IATN for this issue with your van but not much appeared to relate to this one. Timing chain play, cracked rocker supports and cracked flywheels were mentioned a few times.

You coming up this way again this summer Rick? If you do let me know. Really would love to solve this. And your Mom would enjoy having you visit too.

not a mechanic but i play one on tv. i've seen a few chrysler and chrysler/mitsu products with lifter tick. in some cases they've come out with re-designed lifters. not sure how mechanically inclined you are but you can remove the lifters, clean them and re-install. worked on my last talon. make sure you're topped up on oil and like suggested try 10w40 in the summer should cure it. lucas oil stabilizer will help too. i don't think it is pinging either. pull a plug, see if it's white, that'll tell you if you are leaning out and/or burning coolant.

an oil pressure gauge would really help in this situation and not the one on your dash either. See if your pressure is up to spec when the engine is hot.

Edited by Raf

same here i'll never buy a chrysler ever again i had a intrepid 2.7 and timing chain went in it at 118.000 look at a web and it is a big problem with them and timing chains.cost me $3400 to get it redone never again stick to chev.

I have a 98 3.3 caravan and when the motor is at operating temp I get a light knocking noise mostly heard at idle. It sounds like lifter noise but it’s not loud enough. My noise is piston slap. Chrysler used short sleeve pistons and Teflon coated them. The coating wears a bit and causes the piston to slap. For me the only fix is to replace the pistons. I work with a guy that has a 96 caravan 3.3 and his has been making noise since 98 with no problems. . I have decided to live with it. There use to be a bullion but I cant find it now. i would be a good idea to check the oil pressure so you can rule that out

Try listening to other 3.3 and 3.8 and see if they make the same noise to.

Hope this helps

Later

Travis

There is a technical service bulletin (18-026-02 REV.A) regarding engine ping on acceleration in high ambient temperature. It involves replacement of the PCM (Powertrain control module). More later. gotta go

Oh man..that sounds expensive.

There is a TSB on the power steering as well. The reservoir has a screen that plugs up restricting the flow through to the pump causing a cavitation. Chrysler dealers have the parts in stock. Very common problem.

If you can't find Seafoam, at least go to Crappy Tire and pick up a couple of bottles of injector cleaner, put 2 in with a tank of premium gas (91octane) and go for a highway runs, drop to about 80km/h, punch it up till it shifts and repeat 3-4 times. That will clean up carbon and any crap in the cylinders. I'd do it with my old supercharged bonnieville and she ran like a top when I got rid of her with 320k on the clock. If it really goes away after an oil change, it may be a lubrication problem with a lifter or 2. Try an oil additive to clean out the oil galleries before your next oil change and go with some heavier oil for the summer like a 10w40 or 15w40.