Soft Plastic Jerkbaits for Musky?

Rich

Hello all.

Almost 2 years ago now I bought some giant Slug-Go baits for musky. After a trip to the kawarthas where every pink Slug-go I threw for bass got bit off by a musky, I figured it'd be a good choice. I soon realized that these baits work like crap with a leader. It completely changes/ruins the action, and makes them sink too fast. Is there any way to get around that problem?

I had the same issue with plastics last year dealing with some pike

This year I made my own Flouro leaders tied directly to a hook with a bullet weight in place.

Works like a charm.

One tip...

After tieing the knots you'll need to imerse the Leader in hot water and strech it out nice and strait again.

They can be a bit coiled, but come strait very easily.

Good luck

I'll second what Musky Master Lew has to say. Get some 80lb fluorocarbon leader material and make yourself a bunch of leaders with quality hardware. It'll cost you a few bucks but you'll have enough leaders for the next several years.

Try some closed cell foam or similar floaty something? and attatch it to the front and back of your leader. For visibility sake put it over the knot to your mainline and under the first bend of your hook under the sluggo. I assume the sluggos are texas rigged with a really big worm style hook?

I use pink soft bait 6" minnows mounted on buzz bait spinners that I tore the skirts off. I've caught over a doz. Muskies this year so far on this combo in Penna. The spinner for some reason keeps them biting short, on the shank of the hook. Don't know why but it works.

man having a child has softened you... throwing Pink baits

Cmon man!

Hey Crazyhook ya man Pink I have good success with Pink this year.The new Rapala X-Raps and yes pink is on fire the pike are nailing it.

Rich I have the pink Slug and go's and a bullet weight makes a difference.

MTP

Rich,

definitely try the Fluorocarbon as Lew & others suggest. Another trick I use for ALL sizes of Slu-go is to remove the rubber twistee thing from rubber core sinkers(various sizes) and slide onto the shaft of the hook. Close just enough to keep it on & it will move forward/backwards as u twitch. Give a whole new meaning to ERRATIC!!

Also try the "baby slug-go's for Bass, they love 'em!

Hows the little one doing? I hope your are getting enough sleep!!

FT

You might want to go to 100 pound floro. Something got about 2/3 the way through my wife's leader. At 80 pounds that wouldn't have held a big fish while at 100 pounds you could still bring it in.

IMGP0278.jpg