Floodwood Lake report (Tons of pics) Part 2

fishnsled

In case you missed it part 1 is here

This is when the MNR decided to pay us a visit and if you read my other post (skin or no skin) then there is no need to revisit it again. Yep, still got a bad taste in my mouth over this one but the guys were just doing their jobs. We chilled after they left and did go back out for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Well after dinner, yep we’re still eating; it was off to a spot that seemed to be holding a few active fish.

A couple of dinner shots - the oil is hot!!

inthepan.jpg

TheoilisHOT.jpg

areyoudrooling.jpg

We were picking up a few fish here and there. I was bringing in a small walleye when out of nowhere this pike T-boned the fish!! I've seen it happen before but the first time it's happened to me!

Thanks for the picture Dan!

T-boned.jpg

While working the area we are just awe struck again as the cow and her calves paid us another visit. Fishing gets put on hold again and out with the cameras. This was great that they graced us again with their presence as Ken had missed out on the earlier sighting.

A few evening shots.

Momwithbabiessidebyside.jpg

Cool markings on her ears I thought.

Buttlookbig.jpg

This shot is courtesy of Dan.

MooseCalves.jpg

This one is my pov with Dan in the front of the boat. The moose is in the center of the frame and difficult to make out. Gives you an idea how close we got.

OvertheshouldDanandmoose.jpg

MooseCU.jpg

A few more fish were caught then back to camp for some cards and a couple of beers.

The next day was pretty much the same except no moose. Some fishing in the morning and afternoon, a bit more of a laid back routine and started to pack up that evening for our flight out the next morning. After some packing we went for a tour of the lake looking for the moose but no luck. I figure with the storm that was brewing they were hunkering down some where waiting for it to go through. A couple flashes of lightning and we were on our way back to the dock. We pulled up some chairs on the dock and watched the storm come in. Dan managed to get this great shot.

Lightening.jpg

Great shot Dan!! Some cards and beer then off to bed.

An early rise to our last day, finish off some packing, of course we had to eat, clean up and wait for the plane. First in was the Cessna which took Dan, Gerry and some gear out.

1stplanearrives.jpg

GerryandDantakingoff.jpg

The second plane wasn’t far behind. Load up, one last check around camp and we were off.

Secondplanearrives.jpg

Last look at camp.

Lastlookatcamp.jpg

The flight back was much better and quicker I think. Upon arrival Dan and Gerry greeted us with some Tim Horton’s coffee, very nice. On the drive home we couldn’t get over the temperature difference. In Cochrane is was about mid teens and back in TO it was in the 30’s.

A few firsts on this trip for the guys, twin moose calves, first whitefish for Ken and Gerry (too bad we didn't get a shot of yours Gerry), first open fire fish fry for the group – I couldn’t believe it either but was very happy to make it happen for them, the first time that I’ve ever had a toothy critter come and try to take my catch. I’ve seen it before but the first time it’s happen for me. I wish I had a shot of Simon’s crazy lure he made up, it looked similar to the one the guy was holding in a commercial for In-Fishermen magazine I believe, and it did catch a pike. A first for the pike biting such a crazy looking bait. Thanks for the laughs Simon.

All in all it was a fantastic trip!!! Thanks again for the invite Ken! What a great bunch of guys to spend a few days with. It really amazes me how you can take a sport like fishing, put a some people together that don’t know each other at all, (I should note here that they I was the new guy, they knew each other, I only knew Ken before the trip), and they get along like they are long lost friends. This was my first year fishing with these guys and I told Ken if there’s room in the group for me next year just let my know. He say’s to me no need to worry, once you’re in, you’re in! I’m sure looking forward to next years trip wherever the might be. The cabin, boats and motors were all in great working order. Two thumbs up for Air Cochrane :thumbsup_anim: Yea the fishing could have been better but with the conditions we had what can you do. I still had a great time.

A special thanks for all the tips that were given before our trip. A very special thanks to John C. for the "hot spots map" and list of essentials he provided.

That pretty much wraps it up. Until next year!!!

Here 's a few more shots to round off the report in no particular order.

This one is from Dan.

White Admiral Butterfly

BlackButterfly.jpg

Here's the gang.

From left to right: Will, Simon, Gerry, Dan and Ken

Thegang.jpg

Another butterfly

butterfly1.jpg

Dan and a nice walleye.

Danandwalleye.jpg

Pair of loons

Pairofloons.jpg

Some sunrise shots - got up at 5am for these.

sunrise1.jpg

sunrise2.jpg

sunrise3.jpg

sunrise4.jpg

sunrise5.jpg

View from the dock.

Viewfromthedock.jpg

Wildflowers

Wildflowers.jpg

Myself with an evening walleye. I'm looking like a deer caught in the headlights! lol

WillandWalleye.jpg

Thanks for reading and sorry to the dialup guys.

Fantastic wrap up Will! Looks like you all had a great time out there. Too bad about the MNR thing, but these things happen I suppose. I never get tired of seeing pics of pike taking hooked fish...must be very exciting to see!! Did you net both fish? LOL.

Thanks for the report...must have taken lots of effort to do all that work!!