Bettin' On Brookies. Report

Moosebunk

Down on my chip stack about 3 to 1 heads up against my neighbor Bruce, the flop comes two clubs and a spade. A spade jack and a two and three of clubs. In my hand I’m holding the four and six of clubs. Bruce comes in betting strong and I call it. The turn comes the queen of clubs and I’ve hit my flush, yet Bruce throws in another big bet. I wonder if he’s hit a flush too, and his would likely be higher than my six of clubs. I call. On the river comes the five of clubs and Bruce calls all in. Pot committed and with a flush I have no choice and make the call, not even realizing yet that I just hit a straight flush.

Bruce and I turn up the cards and the onlookers are quick to say, Bruce’s eight beats your six Bunk. I’m about to shake hands with Bruce and congratulate him on a good game when my buddy Ron says, “Bunk... I think your straight flush takes the hand.” “Holy 'fudge' Ron! You’re right.” (might of all drank too much, lol)

I’m the chip leader now by a smidgen and about five hands later Bruce goes all in before the flop with a queen and jack unsuited. A good enough hand in heads up, it wasn’t quite up to snuff before the flop to take my pocket sixes. And after five cards were down I held a set and won $240. ‘Bout time, it was my turn for a win...

Calling for thunderstorms and northwest winds today, and having been out on the river about four days ago in similar weather, figured the Moose would be a poopty fish. The season on a whole has sucked. Honestly not even really motivated to fish it, as it’s just a 1 ½ hour skeg burner to places where the fishing is only even mediocre right now. So today, packed the vest with some worms, spinners and little bucktails and took off to Moosonee for some resi-troots on Store Creek.

The honey hole is about 2.2km through some pretty thick bush. An old trail exists but much of it is overgrown. Cobwebs hanging in the tight black spruce along my route were really no help at all from keeping the blood thirsty mosquitoes and blackflies from nipping at anything exposed. I had to soak myself in Deep Woods.

Got to the spot drenched in sweat and panting now too, the bugs were just nuts. I had like 15 on my kneecap alone at one point. More Deep Woods and some settling down they did finally back off for a little while and allow me to get some casts in.

Seven brookies in the hole. None wanting the small black bucktail, silver/pink Bluefox#2, Mepps BlackFury#3 or orange bladed and yellow bodied Panther Martin #2, they all wanted the homemade simple all silver spinner tipped with a worm on the silver single hook. It was kind of weird in fact.

Nothing trophy for a resident speckled troot today. The best the creek has ever coughed up was a gorgeous 12 incher I caught three summers ago. The past years the fish seem to be getting smaller and smaller, but, the numbers are staying up pretty good. Today maybe an 8 inch specimen took top honors and four other fish were around 6-7 inches. All went back relatively unharmed. Love the speckies, they sure make ya work for them.

Here they are... along with the last pic of the 12 incher I caught a couple years ago at the same spot.

storecreek1.jpg

storecreek3.jpg

storecreek2.jpg

1brookC-1.jpg

Good few hours out today. A little more exercise than just sitting in the boat too. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Moosebunk

Great report! Was a bit of work getting to your spot....well a bit of work for me....and short little jaunt for you...LOL. You got into some fish and got outside...that's the important thing. Bly and I are thinking of hitting some local tribs this week to see what's swimming around.

Nice report bud. BTW, they're getting smaller 'cause you're weeding out the bigger ones! :D

That certainly has crossed my mind Mike. Hard to resist the tastiness of trout around the 9-12 inch mark. They're the best by a long shot. None kept this year.