Difference between black bears and grizzly's.

Some of you folks may have seen these already, I've had a few more requests since. Some of my favorite pics. The way I put it is some people will see a black bear and wonder if it is a grizzly, if you see a grizzly you'll know it is a grizzly and not a black bear.

hump_comparison.png

color_comparison.png

Edited by Barry Willis
  • Like 2

I can tell you some harrowing stories that would keep most folks awake at night. Involving grizzly's but were all bluff charges, didn't need to use the bear spray or bangers. I experimented with bear spray once. I was back in the middle of nowhere in a pretty good size meadow doing some target shooting with some of my rifles and decide to test a bottle of bear spray, I emptied it. There was no wind but after a couple of minutes it filled the meadow and my t-shirt become soaked with saliva, I could not see, jumped in the jeep and drove out of there blind with my rifles resting on a blanket on the hood. Thank god they stayed there. One of my friends and and his wife were out hunting and at the end of the day getting inside their travel trailer his wife sat down on the couch forgetting the bear spray she had on her belt with the trigger guard off, in just a couple second it filled the trailer and her husband spent nine days in the hospital. It would have to be a life and death situation before I would spray any bear with that stuff. I know it is meant to save lives but man is it ever potent.

Not sure if I showed you this picture in one of our private talks or not Barry, but I went out on the back deck early one morning a few years back and this big ole black bear was sound asleep at the back of my yard. I went for my camera and when I came back he was awake and just watching me. He let me take the picture then he got up and sauntered  off LOL002-19.webp.d83520aa05eeb72ce75bde515fc13dc7.webp

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing this. Taken from a semi or a very fancy RV. These guys see a lot of wildlife, especially bear and elk driving from Alberta into BC.  Not very often you will see that many bears in one place all at once. Back up to Lew, Oh man, that is just priceless buddy, I wish I could be so lucky. if I had my way my back yard would be full of bears. 

Edited by Barry Willis

I understand the main two differences are that a Grizzly has the prominent hump above the front shoulders and cannot run down hill. A black bear and also a brown bear can both run down hill.

Posted (edited)

That old theory that a grizzly can't run down hill is a bunch of Bull Cast-Away. I have videos of them doing exactly that, at full tilt, it just helps them go that much faster. I have a video of a large male grizzly running down hill so fast that it is damn scary, after that he took down an elk. They have what seems to be unstoppable stamina. We have wild horses out here in Alberta and the Wild Horse society has about 40 trail cams scattered around and have captured grizzly's  taking horses down after a long chase.  The brown bear that I believe you are referring to is just a different color phase of a black bear. In some parts of the country, many moons ago, the grizzly was called a brown bear. The photos of the bears are not mine. 

DSCN0326.JPG

grizzly-bear-760-of-grand-teton-national-park-running-down-a-hillside-F8TJ7X.jpg

into-the-forest-c2a9-christopher-martin-0138.webp

Edited by Barry Willis