How to size a bow-mount electric trolling motor

I think just making a platform for the open spot would work perfectly and if you re carpeted  it it would look great but if you want it to look the very best a whole platform would most likely look best 

• Thanks 1

Are you primarily a Largemouth guy ? Following the shore line and pitching to cover ? Or you're more Smallmouth, Walleye, Musky, Lake Trout...structure and off shore fishing ? If it's all about Largies...then yes, Fortrex is fine. However, if you're into multi-species (in my opinion) I wouldn't forgo Spot Lock....it's a legitimate game changer and will most definitely put more fish in the net.

19 minutes ago, Terry said:

I think just making a platform for the open spot would work perfectly and if you re carpeted  it it would look great but if you want it to look the very best a whole platform would most likely look best 

Yeah matching the carpet would make it look good but if I put an entire piece across it'll be strong and stable and I can carpet it (or vinyl). The floor is vinyl.  Thanks 

21 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Are you primarily a Largemouth guy ? Following the shore line and pitching to cover ? Or you're more Smallmouth, Walleye, Musky, Lake Trout...structure and off shore fishing ? If it's all about Largies...then yes, Fortrex is fine. However, if you're into multi-species (in my opinion) I wouldn't forgo Spot Lock....it's a legitimate game changer and will most definitely put more fish in the net.

Multi species, Crowman. I have only recently gotten back into fishing (2 years ago) after spending most of the last several years hunting.  Right now, I like the variety. I probably catch  smallies and pike more than anything else. 

I will look for a spot lock. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Curious...in your photo what is the piece of 2x4 under the bottom of your console  ? Also, what's in the in-floor compartment in the bow ?

Is there a spot in the boat for two 12v batteries  ?

Two batteries in the back, yes. There is some finishing I have to do. 

Product in Brazil 

Origin...Mainland China

602 is an Arizona area code

They accept Bitcoin for payment.

But hey, that Shimano Stella spinning reel (retail $800) listed just underneath...for only $24 looks like one helluva deal !

What's the saying...if it's too good to be true...

I came across a Terrova but the transducer not longer works.  Can these still function without them? Can I replace the transducer (i.e is it even worth it?). Thanks!

36 minutes ago, siwash said:

I came across a Terrova but the transducer not longer works.  Can these still function without them? Can I replace the transducer (i.e is it even worth it?). Thanks!

Simple answer, yes the 2d universal sonar transducer is only useful if you intend to use it with your other humminbird electronics.

they are most certainly replaceable, and if you have newer modern electronics, you’d most likely be installing your own transducer anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, siwash said:

Sure, worse case is you slap on an external transducer.  Simple stuff.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, siwash said:

More often than not, it's the transducer cable (that runs along the shaft of the TM) that got pinched or damaged. Been there, done that. Easy fix.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, siwash said:

the boat I just picked up has an older MK Powerdrive.  I've heard the heads can be replaced to make the spotlocks.  Is this correct? 

There’s some third party products that essentially connect with your phone that you install onto the trolling motor to effectively make them have iPilot. 

not sure if they are available for the first gen power drives. 

https://pronavmarine.com/alternative-to-the-minn-kota-i-pilot-link-add-on-gps-autopilot-for-bow-mount-trolling-motors/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

looks interesting.  When shopping for a used one, should I be looking for anything with 'ipilot'?  Or am I looking for anything else? 

Edited by siwash

8 hours ago, siwash said:

the boat I just picked up has an older MK Powerdrive.  I've heard the heads can be replaced to make the spotlocks.  Is this correct? 

The motor in the photo that you have displayed in your other post of your new boat can’t be upgraded to a Minn kota ipilot head unit.  Only the black V2’s and upwards can be.  I’ve “heard” of some V1 conversions but I’m not sure how reliable that is.  Yours is pre V1, or basically the original MK bow mount.  For the money people are asking for used, I’d be looking at a 2016 plus MK.  As I’d mentioned in a previous post, my MK is in Aikmens for repair and he mentioned to me that anything other than the latest gen MK’s he’s been told motherboards have been discontinued.  

Edited by porkpie
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So the current motor is 45" shaft. Can you get away with a 60" (can these be adjusted?) ? I'm assuming that you want avoid the blades too high up in the water column.. but deeper in the water it'll still function properly?

Edited by siwash

Yes, the depth the motor head/prop sits below the surface of the water is completely adjustable on a TM. Longer is always better than shorter. If too short, the prop may not get enough "bite" for maximum power/control. If the water is shallow or extremely weedy where you're fishing, you can bring the motor up higher, as needed. Not sure how high the top of that bow is off the water, but 45" is probably the bare minimum for that boat. A 60" should be fine, if not preferable.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1