Hydrogen outboards

22 hours ago, scuro2 said:

Hydrogen is not the answer for cars or other smaller motors.

Why? Just wondering why you don't think it's a good option?

Hydrogen is safe, It can be easily produced, It is clean & green, existing engine technology can be used to operate on hydrogen... IMO it is a far better alternative than battery powered electric options.

8 hours ago, RandyLinden said:

Why? Just wondering why you don't think it's a good option?

Hydrogen is safe, It can be easily produced, It is clean & green, existing engine technology can be used to operate on hydrogen... IMO it is a far better alternative than battery powered electric options.

I do agree that hydrogen is a viable solution to a lot of problems.

However, I'm not so sure "safe" is a word that can be used in relation to hydrogen.

Hopefully, things have changed in the last 100 years...

hith-hindenburg-2.jpg

• Haha 1

Hydrogen is volatile for sure but from what I have read it is safer than gasoline. Both fuels are dangerous if there is a leak and there is enough oxygen with an ignition source. Gasoline being a liquid can be more dangerous if there is a leak because it can spread over an area and remain there for a long time with the possibility of igniting the gas and its vapors while hydrogen leaks and escapes into the air it is dangerous if the concentration of hydrogen and oxygen is high enough along with an ignition source. (Like in the Hindenburg) In fact the Hindenburg's fire was mostly due to the diesel fuel that was used to power the engines and a flammable lacquer on the outside of the ship. There seems to be little concern that hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are more dangerous than gasoline powered cars with internal combustion engines.

Edited by RandyLinden
  • Like 1

my eyes have a hard time reading highlighted text, so I fixed it so I could read it 

Hydrogen is volatile for sure but from what I have read it is safer than gasoline. Both fuels are dangerous if there is a leak and there is enough oxygen with an ignition source. Gasoline being a liquid can be more dangerous if there is a leak because it can spread over an area and remain there for a long time with the possibility of igniting the gas and its vapors while hydrogen leaks and escapes into the air it is dangerous if the concentration of hydrogen and oxygen is high enough along with an ignition source. (Like in the Hindenburg) In fact the Hindenburg's fire was mostly due to the diesel fuel that was used to power the engines and a flammable lacquer on the outside of the ship. There seems to be little concern that hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are more dangerous than gasoline powered cars with internal combustion engines.