Aluminum boat help!!!

silvio

Hey everyone I just finished purchasing an aluminum boat I am going to pick it up on Sunday hopefully. I do not no the exact size but I assume around 12 ft. now I have a spray gun I was planning on the painting the stripe that runs around the first 6 inches at the top of the boat does anyone know which steps must be taken to paint aluminum? From there I want to build a small casting platform at the tip of the boat. What wood would be good for this? (Light and strong). Over the winter I plan on ripping out the aluminum benches and cut out a sheet of ply wood to fit the boat and make a flat and leveled surface then install 2 seats and a pedestal seat on the plat form once the wood is cut I will use marine carpet. Below is a drawing of what I am talking about thank you for your help. If anyone has a pick of the aluminum boat with work like such done to it please post the picture thank you so much.

boatplan.jpg

Hey silvio,

Congrats on your purchase!

It will be key to know the length of the boat.

If the boat is only a 12ft, then I doubt you will have enough room to complete the design you would like. You might only be able to do the casting deck, and 1 chair.

Anything over 12ft, should be ok to create that design.

Don't take your bench seats out, they support the sides of the boat from buckling. Do a search for member name "karem". He has done some nice work on his boat without jeoparodizing the strength of the hull.

-Brian

I did that to my 12'2" fiberglass but you will only be able to have two seats to crowded with 3 seats. I made my whole front casting deck with a swivel pedisal seat and I covered both front benches and use the middle for a storage comparment with acess from top. I use 3/4" ply exterior don't use that way too heavy go with 1/2". I did this 10 years ago and she is still solid. definetly don't remove the benches, use then to support the casting deck.

Congrats on the purchase

Before you paint, wash the boat with soap and water at a car wash. Then give it a light sand (220 grit). If there is already paint on it, and its not flaking off, just give it a light sand to make a surface for the new paint to stick to. After sanding, wipe the area to be painted with a rag soaked in acetone, I've heard vinegar works as well but never tried it myself. If its bare aluminum, you'll need a self etching primer before you paint, or the paint won't stick well, and will just flake off in time.

BTW....my boat has a pressure treated floor in it, and has been in it for 5 seasons now.....I don't believe all this hype about PT lumber reacting with aluminum. My boat has held up just fine, and I've been keeping a close eye on it since this "hype" started. Maybe the additives in newer PT lumber are different now, but mine is great and hasn't had any effect on the aluminum.

Sinker

There have been lots of guys vouch for the newer PT reacting with aluminum.

You wont be able to tell the difference between marine grade and exterior if its done properly.

I wouldnt advise using half inch, I think thats only maybe three plys of wood.

I have built a few now (latest being a 68 starcraft falcon) and I would seriously consider purchasing a 14 footer instead of your 12.

A raised deck on a 12 footer is fine and dandy out of a pond but its not safe on any water with a big wake.