Trolling motor upgrade

I have a Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 (60" 55lbs 12V) on my Starcraft Renegade 168.  Over the pandemic I acquired an iPilot kit for a reasonable price and installed it.  It worked well although I always felt the 55lb was a little underpowered for the size of the boat.  Fast forward two years and now my iPilot head is not working - and it is not worth repairing. 

So I am going to convert it back to a foot pedal control and install the original head back on the motor and sell it.  I'll also sell the iPilot remote that came with the kit.   

So I figure I need a 80lb 24V motor and am looking at the Motor Guide Xi5 c/w GPS and Sonar or the Minn Kota Terrova with iPilot (just not so sure about this technology since my last one only lasted 2yrs).

Any suggestions?  Any idea where the best places to buy these - fishing show??

I have had both the Minn Kota Terrova (Gen 1) and the Xi5. The spot lock on the Xi5 was much better than the Terrova. Although the odd time, it would glitch, and spin one way wanting to rip everything out as it couldnt spin anymore lol. There was an update of sorts that fixed that. I did have to replace the transducer, that was $400. On both Terrova and Xi5, had the seal go requiring the lower unit needing to be rebuilt due to water intrusion. Thankfully this was covered under warranty.

If I were to to pick between both now, I would definitely lean towards the Terrova as the spot lock was greatly improved. It also has lift assist, the Xi5 can be a nuisance to stow, especially if choppy out. The Xi5 remote is very basic. I also like the autopilot feature on the pedal, which is missing on the motorguide. The pedal on the xi5 also isn't great, and may require some modification.

I no longer use either. Moved to an Ultrex, and then onto a Lowrance Ghost to tie in with my finders.

I've owned both the Terrova and the XI5.  I've burnt out the GPS head unit on both believe it or not.  My Terrova is going in to Aikmans for a lower unit rebuild as it's squeaking like a sumb!@tch.  If I had to pick one over the other, I'd get the Terrova.  Nothing seems to last if you actually use it.  

Edited by porkpie

Take a look at the brushless motor upgrade (Quest Series) with the Terrova. A jump in price....but my experience with brushless in other applications has been very positive...quiet, less energy consumption, infinite speed control, longer life. I also believe the gps/i-pilot function is improved with features like drift control...basically works like a drift sock.

Edited by CrowMan