Mill Lake near Parry Sound Advice Needed

Walleye72

Hey Fellow FisherPeeps, 

After 4 years of not getting to have a holiday, I'm finally going to a Lake to fish.   I get 5 days on Mill Lake near Parry Sound.  Normally I love figuring out lakes but since I have such a short time to spend there this time, I'm hoping maybe some kind folks who might have experience fishing this lake can offer some pointers.  I tried to hire a guide that works in the area but  he is booked.  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.   I will be bringing my own boat and could trailer it to a nearby lake, but obviously it's a lot easier to hop into your boat from the dock a few feet from your cottage.  

Thanks so much for any advice . 

Warm Regards 

I haven't fished Mill Lake but I googled it (Mill Lake Ontario fishing)  and there are a lot of sites you can check. One was Mill Lake   Angler Atlas. It said you can catch pike, large mouth and small mouth bass and walleye. Maybe rainbow trout as well.  It also has hints on how to fish it and what to use. Good luck and have a great time. Four years is a long time and you need a vacation!!!

My wife's cousin had a place on Mill Lake for a number of years. There are a few tried and true "spots" on that lake that the locals always fish, so my advice is to see where the cluster of boats are and try that area as a starting point.

I was able to catch a few pike off their dock and I know there are Pickereyes in there as well.

Best part of having a cottage on that lake is that you can order a pizza form Parry Sound and have it delivered to the gov dock!

HH

I fished there around 20 years ago. As long as you have a fishfinder you should find shoal areas no problem. When I was there I only had a few hours and I caught a bunch of nice smallmouth. I feel that I wasn't too far from a bluff shoreline if I remember correctly. The funny thing is, someone here already said "look for the cluster of boats". That was true 20 years ago as well. I remember heading in at dusk and seeing a group of boats clearly walleye fishing in a very localized area. You will be fine.

id target smallmouth and flip largemouth if it has them? (most lakes in the area do)

Parry sound and most shield lakes are easy to solve if you are just out to catch some fish. Any mid lake shoal will hold smallmouth, and any pads you find will always hold largemouth. 

Honestly, you may surprise yourself at the size of largemouth you manage to poke.

Edited by AKRISONER