First musky I ever caught

lew

Came across some old pictures I'd forgotten about and this is one I always liked. It's my son holding the 1st musky I ever caught about 50 years ago. Keeping muskies and mounting them back in the day was sorta the norm but ever since then I've regretted killing it but what's done is done.

Lota musky slime under the bridge since that one so many years ago.

Scan0005.jpg

007.webp

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Weeds said:

You ever get a hankering for maybe just one more fish Lew? I know you fished musky with a passion for a long time….

Nope, not at all strange as that seems but I've lost all interest in fishing and seldom even read fishing reports on this site.

I know what you mean Lew. That's a nice musky. I would have put it one the wall back then as well. My walls are covered with fish from back then. Fifty years and more ago no one at least where I fished  released any thing. Not to brag or throw flowers at my self but I caught so many big rainbow up to 18lbs that I filled my mom and dads 23 qubic foot freezer and they had to buy another one and I practically filled it. I feel really bad, sad and sick now for keeping them all. For about the past forty years or so I've been fishing barbless and releasing everything. I've kept a couple and felt bad and guilty. 

Edited by Barry Willis
miss spelling

On 5/26/2023 at 2:45 PM, Weeds said:

You ever get a hankering for maybe just one more fish Lew? I know you fished musky with a passion for a long time….

I keep telling Lew I've got an open seat in my boat for him anytime he wants to chase these things again :) 

On 5/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, Barry Willis said:

I've kept a couple and felt bad and guilty. 

Human beings are top predators.  Fish are good to eat, and good for you.  Keeping some fish to eat, from most populations in most bodies of water, has zero effect on fish populations.  GUILT is bad for you, as is living with regrets.

Just sayin'...

Doug

• Like 2

Hey Doug, I appreciate your input. You put my thoughts into perspective. I have never given any though to guilt and regrets being bad for one. You have given me something to ponder and digest for sure. It's just been a thing with me. I do love eating fish and know they are good for us. A couple weeks ago I was sitting in a Drs. office and they had a video playing and it is now recommended to eat fish especially the fatty ones such as salmon, etc. for omega three as you know three times a week rather than the recommended once a week from years ago. Thank you.

• Like 1