Winter Blues

Greeks2022.JPG.10e7b662bc60f3d2aecfa70d40f2dc0c.JPGI've been saving seed and growing the same indeterminate heirloom Greek tomato for over thirty years now but I use a different method than you as I only grow one vine and pinch all suckers off. If they grew like yours I'd be overwhelmed with blight due to lack of air flow.  They average over a pound each and my largest is over 2 1/2 lb. Best tomatoes I've ever eaten, all meat and a fantastic flavour. Last year I made salsa and the three people I passed a jar to all said it was the best salsa they'd ever had. They make an excellent tomato sauce as well, I can lots every year. Long wait yet though, they're maybe 8" right now under the lights.

giant tomato.JPG

Edited by smitty55
  • Like 3

Very nice. I'd be lost without my tomato plants. Once they start ripening it's pretty much all I eat. Lots of canning as well. This is going to sound a little far fetched, about four years ago I was quite a bit over weight as usual, I started eating my tomato's and toast, slice of cheese, mayo  and salt and pepper of course and started losing weight. I lost 60lbs and have kept it off to this day. I went from right around 219lb down to 155. Doesn't make a darn bit of sense but it happened. LOL.

Those are some solid looking tomatoes.  I have to spread plants out pretty good or I get blight or some such thing.  My thumb isn’t so green though.  I’m better at catching than growing but I’d like to work on that.  Im envious of these gardens!  I love tomato, jalapeño and onion sandwiches!  Jalapeños are one thing I can’t seem to screw up!

• Like 1

I've been doing it a long time especially tomato's. It's my valium. I've never grown jalapeno peppers, I grow other's but never thought of them. I get three and a half pound tomato's every year. And lots of blue ribbons at fall fairs. I used to grow enough (over 200 plants) when I was a kid to supply three grocery stores and also sold them out of a booth. Every cent of it went towards fishing tackle. I actually made pretty good money for a kid not even in his teens yet. LOL.  

• Like 1

For both roses and tomatoes, my mom used ask me to go down to the river and catch her some carp. She'd dig a hole right in front of her roses and for the tomatoes, right where she would put her plants. Chop up the carp with the shovel, back fill. All natural fertilizer.

Her tomatoes and roses were the envy of the street.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

For both roses and tomatoes, my mom used ask me to go down to the river and catch her some carp. She'd dig a hole right in front of her roses and for the tomatoes, right where she would put her plants. Chop up the carp with the shovel, back fill. All natural fertilizer.

Her tomatoes and roses were the envy of the street.

HH

Thank goodness she did not use smelts. Would of been a waste of good eats.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry Willis said:

When I was a kid there was a woman that give me twenty five cents for every sucker and carp I caught for her cats. You hit the nail right on the head misfish I'm dying for a big scoff of smelt.

I guess $0.25 was the going rate...As a kid fishing off the causeway at Port Perry with some Jewish gentlemen that is the amount I received...They would supply me with some of their cornmeal/flour doughballs and I used some green line from the hardware store that was wrapped in paper for a hand line...whirl it around my head and out she goes...😄

Now I have European Carp gear similar to what our old friend Photoz used that cost him $1350...After watching him cast it like a Tiger Woods tee shot I was hooked on fishing Carp again

Crappieperchunter and Photoz unhookin' a goodun' at P'BoroCarpinatPBoro010705008.jpg.41ef846f2e38def65a2e3a9ba881388a.jpg

Edited by Beans
add photo
  • Like 1