Icy walleye.

limeyangler

Winter is here. Actually winter has been here for nearly a month, it’s just taken me a while to catch up to it, getting older I guess. The lakes started locking up Nov 15th give or take a few days and we headed out over the weekend and found 6” of clear black ice with just a few inches of snow cover on a favourite local walleye spot. Fished for a couple hours from 1 pm , leaving before sunset with 15 or so fish between the three of us. Many of the fish released as they were over 18” , only one fish over 18” per person allowed in a limit of 4. Anyway, enough reciting the Zone 5 regs……..

• Like 11

You released a whitefish???  Please help me out here, a confused Southeastern Ontario fellow.......

....are you not allowed to keep whitefish?  Or you just don't prefer them?  If I had a choice between a whitie and a walleye on the plate, the whitie would be on the menu.

We had minus 16 on my back deck yesterday morning, so Kingston might well get ice before year end.  Here's hoping!  Thanks for whetting my appetite!

Doug

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

You released a whitefish???  Please help me out here, a confused Southeastern Ontario fellow.......

....are you not allowed to keep whitefish?  Or you just don't prefer them?  If I had a choice between a whitie and a walleye on the plate, the whitie would be on the menu.

We had minus 16 on my back deck yesterday morning, so Kingston might well get ice before year end.  Here's hoping!  Thanks for whetting my appetite!

Doug

Hey Shag, absolutely allowed to keep whitefish, but I had more than enough for a feed of walleye. I hate freezing fish if I don’t have to and that would have been the case with my work schedule, does that make sense? I sometimes keep them as my neighbour puts them in his smoker and we go halves, but he’s a snowbird and ain’t around till April. I also like to make a fish soup with whitefish…here’s my recipe……

• Like 1

Great recipe ! Thanks for sharing.

I do something very similar...in a white wine and tomato based broth. I throw in whatever different combinations of fish/seafood and veggies I have available...fresh mussels and/or clams really takes it up a notch...scallops and crab too, but almost any firm fish works. It's a good way to use Pike...because after I'm done trying to get boneless fillets, there's only small pieces left...lol

The French call it Bouillbaisse, and the Italians call it Cioppino...but to me it's simply Fisherman's Stew. Perfect on a cold winter night.

Thanks again...always enjoy your videos !

Just now, CrowMan said:

Great recipe ! Thanks for sharing.

I do something very similar...in a white wine and tomato based broth. I throw in whatever different combinations of fish/seafood and veggies I have available...fresh mussels and/or clams really takes it up a notch...scallops and crab too, but almost any firm fish works. It's a good way to use Pike...because after I'm done trying to get boneless fillets, there's only small pieces left...lol

The French call it Bouillbaisse, and the Italians call it Cioppino...but to me it's simply Fisherman's Stew. Perfect on a cold winter night.

Thanks again...always enjoy your videos !

Right on! Yeah, whitefish works good because it’s firm like you say. Now you’ve given me a reason to keep pike…disgusting creatures… lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Yeah, Pike is actually perfect for this...like you stated in your video...the secret is to only add the fish at the very end for no more than 5 to 10 minutes at a simmer. Otherwise, it will fall apart and you'll end up with a bowl of fish mush..

Almost just steamed fish.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

because after I'm done trying to get boneless fillets, there's only small pieces left

One of my fishing buddies is a whiz at filleting pike (and leaving the bones on the carcass!)  He has shown me several times, hands on instruction, but the lessons so far have not stuck.  We have been catching some nice pike, 6 to 8 pounds and chunky, while fishing for perch.  Exciting on an ultralight with 3 pound test!  And boneless pike are very toothsome pan-fried, and also very good smoked.

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

I hate freezing fish

Yup,I cook it all up fresh. Left overs in the fridge and eatn cold. All good.

That soup is on my list this winter pal. Just need some noodles and hot sauce on the side. Thanks for that.

Edited by misfish

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Yup,I cook it all up fresh. Left overs in the fridge and eatn cold. All good.

That soup is on my list this winter pal. Just need some noodles and hot sauce on the side. Thanks for that.

Throw a few chilli flakes in when no one is watching….lol

9AC4A500-1264-4DE2-BD2B-DB6C4EED9D6D.jpeg.b069c35b1602a839ac661a5c20b167fd.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, limeyangler said:

Hey Shag, absolutely allowed to keep whitefish, but I had more than enough for a feed of walleye. I hate freezing fish if I don’t have to and that would have been the case with my work schedule, does that make sense? I sometimes keep them as my neighbour puts them in his smoker and we go halves, but he’s a snowbird and ain’t around till April. I also like to make a fish soup with whitefish…here’s my recipe……

hey going to try this out I hope kingston and area gets ice soon the meal looks amazing 

• Like 1