13 FISHING - Freefall Ghost/Fate V3 Ice Combo 27" ML (Medium Light) LH retrieve

GBW

Hey all.

Looking for feedback on these 13 FISHING - Freefall Ghost/Fate V3 Ice Combo 27" ML (Medium Light) LH retrieve combo's.  The lake's around me have trout, walleye and panfish to target in the winter.  Thoughts?

13 FISHING - Freefall Ghost Fate V3 Ice Combo 27in ML.jpg

2 minutes ago, Terry said:

I would have to dig them out one is on a fenwick light rod and the other is on an ultra light rod for pan fish 

I wasn't sure Terry what you were using rod wise with that reel and set up.  I have a few I can test it with and then decide if I need a new one.  (I always like a new one ;))  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I have a few, just saying. lol Picking up a couple of the meegs med fast for 2 of them.

You happen to have 'won' a few reels I liked...  ;)  So if I switch to the reel Terry shared then I need to tinker is all.  

13 seems to make some decent ice stuff. Id honestly never fish their stuff softwater, but own a few of their ice rods. I don’t over complicate it when it comes to ice gear. It sort of is what it is. 

can’t speak for their reels, not sure I’d bother, stick with a decent shimano and call it a day.

I will say, finding a rod that “loads” nicely when you start going into heavier rods for laketrout, or one with a light enough tip for crappie IS where money needs to be spent. But it’s not like you will ever suffer “working a bait”

i saw that loomis started making $300 ice rods and I couldn’t help but laugh…this is coming from a guy with a bunch of loomis rods, I even agree that they are just stupid.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, GBW said:

You happen to have 'won' a few reels I liked...  ;)  So if I switch to the reel Terry shared then I need to tinker is all.  

20221202_184542.jpg.2559ab58910c63be0c27ffaf55fc78ae.jpg

I,ll have all 4 set up by the end of the week. I do not fish deeper then 35 fow,so these are going to be great.

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

I was looking at Terry's link .Do people really hold a rod like a pencil now.

Seen a few videos on ice fishing lately and I can't figure out why they hold it like that.

I can almost see a lazy time jigging but as soon as it hit the rod would be "normal " hold.

Please explain

I come from a time when adding a bell to the gad was an huge change and waste of money and somewhat laughed at when the first guy did  it.

14 hours ago, misfish said:

It,s a joke is what it is. Like really? We use to use wooden tip ups and you could still use one to bounce a meegs on the bottom and hook a fish. LOL

Ha…..I still have my mine kicking around. Whittled from a piece of pallet with a box cutter in the 70’s when I worked on a loading dock. 

97A6D984-F7BB-4AF7-B712-B86C6A51CECA.jpeg

Edited by RayK
  • Like 1

how about the fact that a huge volume of fish are caught on the ice every year hand bombing tip ups.

Once again, please do not confuse me with the "my $30 canadian tire combo catches em just the same" crowd. Im not claiming to be that, I do spend a bit of money on my ice fishing rods, I just dont see the need what so ever to go above and beyond. Especially for any fish either >2lbs and under 8lbs. You can pretty much use any medium/MH rod and it will do the job. You want to try fight a big laketrout, you might want to beef up your rod, you want to detect negative bites from crappie, you might want a really good tip. No need to blow $300 though.

Reels? Line capacity and a decent drag system. You arent concerned about casting distance, you also dont particularly need smooth retrieve because you arent winching in baits on the retrieve non stop all day. Ive been using the same shimano sienna 1000's for the past 7 years? I paid like $50 for them.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Reels? Line capacity and a decent drag system. You arent concerned about casting distance, you also dont particularly need smooth retrieve because you arent winching in baits on the retrieve non stop all day. Ive been using the same shimano sienna 1000's for the past 7 years? I paid like $50 for them.

Same, just thought it was time to try something new and TODAY I won a Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel on a FB raffle page.  Looking forward to good ice this year!