Awesome Day on stony!

kemper

Headed out at 4 AM this morning to a buddys cottage for a day of fishing. Location was stony lake, where I had never fished before. We were half awake and on the water at 5 to 6 in the AM :sleeping_02:

The action started with largemouth and never stopped, we were on the fish all day with most around 14" and 5 or 6 coming in over the 16" mark. In total we boated around 40 bass, mostly largemouth with the exception of two smallies and the surprise of my life. I was shooting for the grand slam but lost a walleye at the boat.

Fishin largies in shallow water with a green/white spinner bait i nearly had my arms pulled out of the socket on the second turn of the crank by a nice stony lake musky. I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be a musky fisherman so this was quite the experiance for me. After a great battle (short and sweet, even though im a bass fisherman i use 65 pound PP) we had this 36 inch musky in the boat. Fish was very chunky for its size, and really healthy.

Kinda cool for a bass guy like me, heres some picture from the day, most didnt turn out because all i had was my camera phone.

gallery_256_231_38497.jpg

gallery_256_231_5014.jpg

gallery_256_231_10282.jpg

you didn't have a leader on did you? I always wondered how braids stand up to muskie/pike teeth... perhaps since it was 65lb it's a bit harder to cut through? opinions?

I use 14lb fireline for bass bass fishing and whenever I get to co-incidental pike, more than half of them cut me off...

you didn't have a leader on did you? I always wondered how braids stand up to muskie/pike teeth... perhaps since it was 65lb it's a bit harder to cut through? opinions?

I use 14lb fireline for bass bass fishing and whenever I get to co-incidental pike, more than half of them cut me off...

I was actually worried about that because all that was stickin out of the fish's mouth was one blade on my spinnerbait. Line was fine, but like I said it was a quick fight because i wanted to get him in and then back in the water as quick as I could.

If you're targeting toothy critters, USE A LEADER. They can saw their way through mono like butter and can hack their way through braid although it's a lot tougher. Mind you, for bass, 65lb PP is plenty and should take a heck of a lot of abuse before having to retie. Congrats on the surprise.