15+ lber on Island Lake Reservoir *several pictures

charlesn

OK, maybe the title is a little misleading... :)

Took my 9.5 month old daughter out on her first "fishing" trip. We had a great time. First was the presentation of the first rod/reel and pfd back at home.

first-rod-and-pfd.jpg

Being a cautious baby, Lauryn checked to make sure the life jacket was CCG approved!

let-me-check-the-weight-rating.jpg

Next it was in to the truck for the drive to Island Lake. You could tell she was anxiously awaiting that first cast...

breathless-anticipation-of-fishing.jpg

Once there, the boat was launched and Lauryn was floating on the water for the first time.

first-time-in-boat.jpg

She taught daddy how to cast.

teaching-daddy-how-to-cast.jpg

Then it was mommy's turn. Luckily for mommy, she was using a plastic casting plug or she woulda got turned in for poaching without a license! :)

mommy-poaching.jpg

After about an hour of fishing and eating and diaper changing, 5 largemouth had been landed and 2 had gotten away. So here's a pic of a 2.5 lber, a 3.25 lber, a 15+ lber and a UFC welterweight... lol

15-lber.jpg

Lauryn dutifully watches and approves as the fish are allowed to swim free.

live-release.jpg

After a quick visit to the beach, it was off for home. Dreams of the next trip were already in mind.

dreams-of-the-ones-that-got-away.jpg

It was an amazing and fun experience. Can't wait to take her again.

Charles

What a great report! Your little girl is VERY cute! They grow up very fast, so cherish each and every moment. Keep this up and she'll be prime to be your fishing partner in a few years!! Thanks for the report and pics.

PS. Nice fish.

Wes, we put it on her and she had a total fit and she's usually not like that unless in pain or true discomfort. Not sure, but it may be too tight (although rated for 20-30 lbs) and restricting her breathing. It was definitely snug. But I have one that is for 40-60 lbers and it is way too big. I'm looking for an alternative as we speak. Would welcome any suggestions... I'm thinking something similar to an inflatable design would be good, but obviously have little/no experience in pfds of this size class.

Thanks for the kind words!

Charles

Cityfisher,

Yes, it was electric only. I like the electric only lakes a lot to be honest. Now don't get me wrong, 70 mph with the wind ripping your face off is an awesome feeling too, but sometimes it's nice just to start fishing the moment you drop the boat in the water. I learned another body of water last week thanks to a small club tournament, Shade's Mills, in Cambridge that is also trolling motor only and caught a bunch (15 keeper bass) in 3.5 hours... I've heard Guelph Lake is good too and another trolling motor only lake.

Charles

You told that story beautifully... you have an amazing family... the memories you are making for yourself and them will last forever.

Great fish too...

Cheers,

Jen

Very Nice Charles!

I am only 8 minutes from that lake and wondered about whether or not they would allow the use of a bigger boat without the gas engine. I was going to bring home my canoe and use it there.

Good to see some nice Bass in there.

Looks like a great time Charles!!! A future slop buster???? :clapping: On the life jacket front, I had to buy a new one this year for my 3 1/2 year old girl as she weighs 42 lbs now. I tried the buoy o buoy at walmart but the top strap is not adjustable and nearly choked Emily when i put it on her, damn, i wanted it to fit, it was only $19. But, as you can tell, if the child is not comfortable, they won't wear it, so off to canadian tire, $39 later i had the greatest jacket for her, it was even barbie and pink, and fits like a dream, she loves it, thank God!!! Her old one is a coleman, and she liked it alright but obviously it was only for up to 30 lbs.

Have fun with the little one Charles!!!

John.

That made my day!

She is adorable! My baby girl turned 26 yesterday, she even said if she could have one present she wished we could be together out fishing and camping, enjoy those precious moments....Oh and your daughter had some great catches there too! She is quite the fisherGal!

Lorissa