07-01-07 Erieau Report

SlowPoke

After a great day on Lake O with CC & Bly yesterday I made plans to hookup with Icefisherman for some 'eyes and 'bows at Erieau. We met at Emil's campsite at 5AM and took the backroads to the Erieau ramp. Setup and launch went smoothly and we were on the water.

The water was a little choppy but we were still able to get out to our desired starting point at top speed. One rigger, two leadcores and one dipsy running at various depths along the 43 FOW line heading east, into the wind. We marked a lot of fish on the bottom - ducking for cover I suppose with the cold front coming in. Things were peaceful for the first couple hours and then my leadcore started signing with 4.5 colours out. A nice little rainbow found its way to the boat after a few jumps and some pulls.

DSC00958.jpg

We carried on east for another mile or so before turning around and trolling back inside our first line. Picked up a few weeds and nothing else. We hit our starting point and began heading south into deeper water since the wind died down a bit. The fishing was slow and the wind started picking up again.

DSC00962.jpg

We got into some big swells but they were pretty far apart and managable... at least for another 20-30 minutes. Since the bite was off and the waves were on, I didn't see much point in battling the waves. The rollers were getting closer together and I called for lines up. I popped the rigger rod and began reeling in the leadcore rod when a walleye hit. An admirable fight for a little guy but lost it at the boat. I set down the leadcore rod and grabbed the rigger rod. Well, whatya know, I had a fish on! A quick hookset and a brief tussle before Emil works for a tough shot.

DSC00961.jpg

As we battled our way inland we encountered some more of this...

DSC00963.jpg

The pictures just don't do it justice and it's the worst water I've been in with this boat. Emil and myself were dissapointed with the fishing and the weather but the boat handled well and neither of us felt uncomfortable... that is, until the explosion. A very loud bang and the GPS/Sonar went out but the engine was still running. My first instinct was to curl up in the fetal position but I fought the urge and got onto the throttle. I didn't know what happened but I figured as long as the engine is still running, I would get my ass as close to shore as possible. There was no smoke or any further symptoms, the bilge was operational and the VHF was working.

DSC00966.jpg

A bit of a rough, wet ride and we were back to the ramp safely. After tying off, I reluctantly lifted the rear bench seat to expose the battery and bilge area. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the top of my battery missing!

DSC00967.jpg

I'm not sure what happened but I have come to the conclusion that I had a bad cell(s) and low fluid. As the motor was trying to charge the battery, gasses built up and the vents failed releasing chunks of plastic shrapnel all over my bilge area. I had to hook up the spare battery to trim up the motor and everything is working fine.

Why can't I just go out, catch fish and go home without a "you ain't gonna belive this" story?

-Brian

Great Erie report !!!!

Murphys Law hard at work Brian......

Just make shure you rince the bildge real good to rid of any battery acid that may have stuck around......

Also, good to here you made it back safe and sound......

Cheers !!

Brian....what is it with you??? You cant escape something going wrong during a fishing trip!! Good to see you made it home ok after Saturday's adventure.

I know what you mean about pics not really capturing how big the waves are...I've tried to take pics myself and always disappointed when I see them. I'm glad they were not that bad on Saturday. For hours after I got home, whenever I'd close my eyes, I'd feel like I was still on the boat....swaying back and forth....LOL.

Your battery was a scary thing!! Was that the first one you tried on Saturday??

Anhow, glad to see you made it back to shore safely....and that you managed at least a few fish out there!

Some Great pictures there, that lake looks nasty. Too bad about the battery, never seen nor heard of that happening before. Looks like it could have been alot worst and as GCD said,

don't forget to hose down the inside of that compartment to wash away any acid remnants.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Cliff, yes that is the battery I tried first on Saturday. It was on the charger overnight and could barely trim down the motor. So, when Emil and I were on the water I figured I would connect it to let it charge while we were trolling and that's what happened.

I don't know why I keep having these little adventures... I didn't mention in the Saturday report with CC and Bly that I picked up a bolt in my truck tire somewhere near the launch. I ended up getting it repaired at CTC and didn't leave Oakville until 4:30 PM. That made for a long day.

I'm just glad eveything went flawlessly at Lakair. I'm wondering if maybe the battery took a beating on the way home and jarred one of the plates. Maybe Kennyman is right, spring for an Optima.

-Brian

Maybe Kennyman is right, spring for an Optima.

-Brian

I would second that. The GEL cells are much more resistant to vibration and shock like you would have been experiencing in the waves on the ride back in.

Tony

Hey Bud

Should have bought a Starcraft!

LOL!! :lol:

Nice fish.

Give me a call sometime.

You owe me a trip. :D

Speed

Hey Rob, good to hear from ya!

I did buy a Starcraft, had it been a Lund I woulda turned around when I saw those waves ;)

You're right, I do owe you a trip... in fact it was a year ago next week and I still have a sunburn from that trip!

We'll set something up soon... maybe an LSC trip.

-Brian

DSC02989.jpg