Truck Wipers Nf

Headhunter

The windshield wipers on my 96 Jimmy have been playing games with me lately. They some times work and other times when I turn them on, I hear the motor working, but the wipers don't move. I've tried given them a yank, but that doesn't work either.

An example; I went out last night, just a light mist on the windshield. Tried the wipers, no go (heard the noise thought). This morning, started up the truck and turned on the wipers and away they go!

Now, I like to think of myself as a fairly adventurous guy, but I really need more consistant wipers, especially with winter coming.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? With my luck, I'll take it in to get looked at and the darn things will be working fine!

Thanks in advance.

HH

Well if you are convinced the motor is working ok, possibly the wiper arm transmission ( I dont know the proper name for it ) it's a series of metal arms connected by 'joints' that runs from your wiper motor to your wiper arms. I've had these arms pop out of these 'joints' but the problem is not intermittent. Once they pop out they don't pop in on their own. Are your wiper arms themselves loose maybe?

Sorry not much help. Next time they dont work, pop off the vents that cover the motor/transmission and have a looksy.

Hey Raf, no they seem to be very solid and un-moveable. I to thought it might be the linkage, but if it was the linkage, I thought that it wouldn't be intermittent as well.

I'm sure the motor is working, I can hear it! Also, failed to mention that I had the switch (on the turn signal) replaced about a year ago, so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Thanks ,

HH

Anyone else?

If the linkage is connected and the motor is making noise then I would look at a dead spot on the gears inside of the motor. The next time it is making a noise but not wiping then lift gently on the arm to move the linkage to a new place if it starts to wipe on its own then replace the motor. The key here is the linkage is solidly connected and motor noise is heard.

Art

Aplumma, I tried that last night. I turned on the wipers, heard the motor turning and got out of the truck and wiggled the wiper arms back and forth. They were very solid with little or no play in them.

Your suggestion re the motors gears sound logical... but I can't understand why they worked the next day if there's a bad spot on the gear or why a "good" spot on the gear didn't catch last night?

I'm confused?

HH

Unhook the motor from the linkage and move the linkage by hand. If their is no binding then replace the motor. The motor might be bound up and going out on thermal overload. No matter if it is the gears or the motor it is a sealed unit so replacement is needed. If new is to pricey then contact a junkyard just remember though you will be getting an old unit that was just as abused as the one you have.

Art

I had a similar problem on my 93 gmc pickup, but it was the delay on the wipers, soometimes it worked sometimes not. What caused it was a faulty circut board on or around the wiper motor I can't remeber exactly. water leaked in thru the seal. I guess it's common. n

Not sure if that would be the problem with your's or not. But when it first started doin it i would hit the circut box and it would work for a while.

Thanks to all who responded with some really solid advice! Much appreciated... the silly thing worked just fine again this morning (thank goddness!).

I have to take it in for it's 150k Vortec tune-up very soon, so, I'll have them look at it then.

I'd take a stab at it myself, but for a coupla reasons;

a) I park my truck on the street and don't really like the idea of working out in the cold/wind, unless I'm fishin :D

b)it would have to be a weekend, as by the time I get home from work... it's flippin dark!

c)I have enough mechanical knowledge to really screw something like this up!LOL

Again, thanks to all!

HH