Boat trip to Lakair

Bernie

Started out yesterday morning at 6AM to the opposite end of Nipissing to brisk northeast winds and cool temps. Fortunately the winds were down some from Friday. Took 2 1/2 hours to make the trip to Lakair. Using a Garmin Rino with the Nipissing map it made the trip a lot easier to navigate through the maze of rocks, islands and shoals. Once through the entrance into West Bay the channels were fairly well marked with buoys. When I reached the bridge the distance as the crows flies was 40 miles. Should have taken more pics (I realize now).Meeting me at the dock was Cliff and was glad to finally meet him. I tied up with slightly frozen fingers and then shook off the sea legs. Cliff led me straight to the coffee shop and it was required. He then offered me some hospitality at his campsite and met Carole. Thank you very much for that kindness Cliff and Carole. What an amazing bunch of folks I met that day. Every one friendly and smiles everywhere. Its an unforgettable experience to go and meet everyone for the first time. Thank you to everyone for your hospitality. For those that have never done the Lakair experience take it in next time around. The islands and bays are incredible and beautiful. I have lived on Nipissing in summers all my life but have never been on the waters in a boat in that area before (Bring a map). Cliff pretty much summed up the fishing part of the trip in his report.

Had a chance to sit down with several members and have good coversations and in the future hope to have some more. Roy, you are a standup fella regardless what others say about you! Ha ha. Chris (Spiel) showed me some of his fine work on fishing rods he had made for Art and Joe. Works of art Chris, thank you for showing them to me! Wished I had more time to chat with Glen, Joe and Art, very interesting guys (thanks for the hat ).

The fish fry was excellent. TJ promised me the fish would excel and he was true to his word. The buffet filled everyone up after a day on the water.

The fireside and music in the evening was enjoyed by all there. Cant wait until next year!

Bernies_158.JPG

Bernies_169.JPG

What an amazing bunch of folks I met that day. Every one friendly and smiles everywhere. Its an unforgettable experience to go and meet everyone for the first time. Thank you to everyone for your hospitality. For those that have never done the Lakair experience take it in next time around.

No truer words were spoken, felt the same way Bernie last year

Thanks for sharing

Whopper

Bernie...glad to hear that you made it back home safely!! I dont blame you for leaving early either! When I got down to the water later in the morning, the winds had picked up and the water was very choppy.

I'm really glad we had the opportunity to meet up...we'll be back up in your neck of the woods again in about 3 weeks...I'll be in touch to see if we can possibly meet up again.

Take care Bernie!

Cliff

Good to meet you Bernie, wish we had a chance to sit and yak for a bit though....you'll just have to come for a longer visit next year ;) . Glad your return trip was calmer and more pleasant than your trip in, but you sure had the right boat for it.

Maureen