Yammy 115 Timing Belt

captpierre

A car's engine on average, is likely only using 30 - 40% of available power. It's not to often you'll need/want to do a full throttle take off. Unless you're 16 and dad can't see you. LOL

So yeah automotive manufacturers measures belt change intervals in mileage (approx 160K Klms) rather then time.

Boat motor is likely using 80 - 90% of its power most times. We've all likely done this; at the end of a drift, we start the motor; barely let go of the key and we nail the throttle. Running half or better throttle in a chop and the prop comes out of the water. The tachometer pegs its needle; then the next second the prop is back in the water and drags the rpm down just as fast as they went up.

In other words we beat the living crap out of boat motors. I'm surprised at how well they handle these beatings. So the harder we treat/beat on engines/motors the more frequent the service intervals.

Dan.

I agree with everything you said, however these northern outboards sit more then they are used. I can see 5 years making sense in the south where the outboard can be used year round but up here it's sleeping most of the time.

I agree with everything you said, however these northern outboards sit more then they are used. I can see 5 years making sense in the south where the outboard can be used year round but up here it's sleeping most of the time.

Like I also said rubber never stops curing.

Plus the belt sitting idle for long periods of time; the belt will take on the shape that it's sitting in.

If it's an older belt it could fail on the first start up of the season.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Like I also said rubber never stops curing.

Plus the belt sitting idle for long periods of time; the belt will take on the shape that it's sitting in.

If it's an older belt it could fail on the first start up of the season.

Dan.

YUP, same reason you change the water pump impeller regularly.

Also the ozone in the atmosphere deteriorates rubber.

A car's engine on average, is likely only using 30 - 40% of available power. It's not to often you'll need/want to do a full throttle take off. Unless you're 16 and dad can't see you. LOL

So yeah automotive manufacturers measures belt change intervals in mileage (approx 160K Klms) rather then time.

Boat motor is likely using 80 - 90% of its power most times. We've all likely done this; at the end of a drift, we start the motor; barely let go of the key and we nail the throttle. Running half or better throttle in a chop and the prop comes out of the water. The tachometer pegs its needle; then the next second the prop is back in the water and drags the rpm down just as fast as they went up.

In other words we beat the living crap out of boat motors. I'm surprised at how well they handle these beatings. So the harder we treat/beat on engines/motors the more frequent the service intervals.

Dan.

Thanks for the correction on the tensioner Dan.

Dan.

Not just Dad's husbands too Dan. She doesn't even deny full throttle take offs as I am sitting in the seat right next to her. She says she loves the smell of rubber in the morning. Nissans 300 HP 3.8L in a mid size family sedan Altima, crazy, my 78' Vett didn't have 300 horse.

Dan I certainly won't tell her but how do we get the other 60% of available power out of our vehicles?

I shook my head the other day when we were car shopping. Tia asks the sales guy, " How many horse are we talking and what foot pounds torque?" Danica Patrick has nothing on her.

Edited by Old Ironmaker