Uplander

16 Footer

I am thinking about buying a 2009 Chev Uplander from an 80 plus guy who is in a retirement home and can't drive anymore. It only has 40K on it and should be good enough to tow my 16 ft Grumman with a 25 Merc on it. The problem is it has been sitting out side for about 3 years and not driven at all. It definitely will need an oil change, new battery and brake work. What other repairs do you think it needs to get it on the road and how much is it worth in this condition?

Thanks for your reply.

All fluids should be replaced, power steering, brake, transmission, coolant along with the motor oil. There's no doubt that they (other then the coolant LOF) are moisture contaminated.

If possible get a transit plate on it, so it can be driven to a garage for a safety inspection; before you commit yourself to the van. Have the shop do an assessment of belt and hoses and other non-safety items. Also remember that a safety certificate means that the vehicle passed the MTO minimum requirements on the day of inspection. Ask the shop what items just passed; things that may need some attention in the near future.

Once you have this information on the vehicle; you will be able to make an informed decision on what to offer for the van; if you still want it.

Dan

What Dan said, vehicles that have been sitting a long time have a habit of attracting mice ( my experiences ), take a look under the hood at the plug wires and other wiring they sometime will chew on the insulation or build nests under the hood or in the vehicle.

I have a 2009 Chevy cargo van, I haven't driven since 2011 but my son who lives with me uses it occasionally, it also has around 40k mileage on it. 1 battery replaced, lack of regular use, a lot of the electronics still draw current, 1 rotor, left front developed a rust area, again lack of regular use.

I get an oil change and grease job on mine once a year, even though it hasn't exceeded 3k miles a year since I stopped driving, your vehicles owner may not have done that?

The value? without actually seeing and driving it? No real idea, it could be trash or treasure?

We had an 08 montana, pretty much the same vehicle. Lots of power, should pull the boat no problem. I had replaced just about every part in the front end, bearings included at less than 100K. the good thing is that the parts are cheap and easy to install yourself with a small amount of knowledge and youtube. We had about 130K when the tranny started to slip, that was more than I wanted to deal with so traded it in a couple months ago.

It wasn't a bad vehicle, if the price is right buy it. I'm not sure I would pay more that $3000 though especially if you need to put the better part of a grand into making it road ready. my trade-in was sub $2000 but that's no surprise, we traded it for a 2015 Toyota Sienna at Markham Toyota (FYI they were great to deal with).

Change ALL the fluids regardless of how it looks, listen to Dan. I ruined a classic Benz letting it sit in a damp garage for 2 years. I bet that stupidity cost me 15 grand. To get it running right would have cost me another 6K or more not including interior, body and chrome work. Parts are not cheap for a Mercedes 560 SEC. What an idiot.

Change ALL the fluids regardless of how it looks, listen to Dan. I ruined a classic Benz letting it sit in a damp garage for 2 years. I bet that stupidity cost me 15 grand. To get it running right would have cost me another 6K or more not including interior, body and chrome work. Parts are not cheap for a Mercedes 560 SEC. What an idiot.

Man that's a sweet car!

Hope the van works for you, but ya listen around when things sit they die and need life breathed back into them...

we bought one that was 1.5 years old at the time with 20ks on it. Owned it for 6 years. It was a piece of junk,constant wheel bearing replacement,ball joints ,abs light always coming on,the seats got stained by water and always looked dirty has some electrical glitches,when we got rid of it it was having some tranny issues 170ks.....the only good thing was it pulled the boat well. Prevousily we owned a montana van(not the sv6) it was a much nicer vehicle. Now my wife drives a ford freestar van and has for 6 years and loves it.

Edited by bowslayer

• 4 weeks later...