Walleye stocking in Toronto Harbour

John Bacon

It's nice to see them making an effort! but the greater Toronto area has 6.4 million people, which works out to 1 fish per 64 people? and that is providing they all survive?

Knowing little or nothing about that area, except I had a fun evening on Yonge Street once, are there suitable spawning areas for them in the harbor?

Just from my own experience? The greatest boost to the Walleye population on Lake Erie here was our state stopping the commercial netting of Walleye.

If they manage to establish a resident population? Will commercial netting of them in that area be allowed?

Lake Ontario has some pretty serious competition for the food supply for them? Northern Pike, Salmon, Trout, whatever Muskies might be roaming around?

Hope it all goes well, it may take a lot of time?

Cormorants will be happy.

On the level, they will have to repeat this for years even though there has always been the odd catch of Adults for some time.

Seems premature as they still are to rejig the mouth of the Don and inner harbour.

Cheers,

Mark

This actually has a better chance of providing angling opportunities than the Atlantic Salmon fiasco, unless , of course access to fishable water is horribly restricted and regulated. From what I have heard the Port Authority and other egomaniacs in position of power there can be a _____ at times.

Edited by dave524

Cormorants will be happy.

On the level, they will have to repeat this for years even though there has always been the odd catch of Adults for some time.

Seems premature as they still are to rejig the mouth of the Don and inner harbour.

Cheers,

Mark

The plan is to stock walleye in Toronto in odd years and Hamilton in even years. So will be getting more walleye in future.

I don't think the success of the project relies exclusively on the improvement of the Don River (although that will help). So, there is no reason not to start stocking now.

Edited by JohnBacon