Dipsy diver ?s

b_cdot

What's a typical leader length? Using size#1 dipsy divers in erie for steelies, salmon and walleye. I've tried short 4-5 ft and longer 8-12ft. I have limited experience. I am curious if short leaders make fish more reluctant to bite or if there is no difference. Also. Does anyone believe dipsy colours have any effect? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I run a leader of about 5 feet of 40lb mono for salmon, but then I'm adding a flasher and fly or flasher and Twinkie rig that can extend that by 2 to 5 feet. I don't use snubbers because I use mono. I've talked to guys that use longer leaders and hand bomb fish into the net. That seems to me a pain in the butt. If I where running spoons clean off of dipseys I'd probably stick to a rod length. If you don't have a long handled extension net, get one. It's the only way to fly when trolling. I prefer black or clear dipseys, but some people swear by coloured ones. I'm sure it works for them!

I don't make mine too long, they become a pain in the butt when bringing them in or deploying. 6-8ft at most.

x2. Too long is a real pain. Black and clear for walleye, try and match the bait colour for trout & salmon.

The diver acts as an attractant along with helping get down.

3'-4' works good for me. Too long & netting the fish becomes a problem.

Yes colour can make a big difference. Use a lure of a similar colour. Sort of the straggler from the school scenario.

In stained water use a mirror type finish. More flash.

A few days age in slightly stained water on Erie the only fish(s) I caught came off a gold mirrored colour dipsey with a green monkey puke (copper backed spoon).

This far out preformed everything on the boat.

In clearer water match your colour to your lure.

Tiger fire in clearer water has worked good for me.