4 gaugewire for inverter

super dave

Years ago I ran a pretty big amp on a CB that drew a lot of amperage, found it cheaper to cut the ends off a set of booster cables to wire it up than to buy the same gauge wire by the foot.

edit: Shops that do high power automotive stereo installations will have it too, but not cheap.

Edited by dave524

Any marine supply store will have it. They have it at our marina service department. Check the installation instructions though. For long runs to the batteries you need heavy gauge. I think you want 4/0. That is not the same as 4 gauge.

Anyone know where I can get some 4 gauge wire? I just some for my 2000w inverter. Thought xt or princess Auto would have but thickest I could find was 10.

Thanks.

Go in the back, they have 4/0 welding cable which is far more flexible and better stranding. I use it on my inverter for the trailer.

Yes you guys are right. I need 4/0 not 4 gauge. I'm completely new to this. Looks like I have some more researching to do.

Check with any solar power companies as well.

They supply large gauge wire for connecting battery strings and inverter connections.

Keep the distance from battery to inverter as short as possible. If its on a boat you may want to go with marine tinned cable. Its not that much more than plain copper and won't corrode. You lose voltage with distance and then its not efficient. You will draw down your battery faster if the cable is too long. The 110 side is not a problem for distance. 4/0 is expensive too so shorter is cheaper.

You will also need to install a large fuse on the positive feed as close to the battery as you can. Probably a 250 amp fuse. I know it sounds high, but the current draw of a 2000w inverter on surge of 3000w is 3000/12v= 250 amps.

When I installed my Xantrex inverter on my boat I spent as much on wire, connections and fuses as I did on the inverter.

Keep the distance from battery to inverter as short as possible. If its on a boat you may want to go with marine tinned cable. Its not that much more than plain copper and won't corrode. You lose voltage with distance and then its not efficient. You will draw down your battery faster if the cable is too long. The 110 side is not a problem for distance. 4/0 is expensive too so shorter is cheaper.

You will also need to install a large fuse on the positive feed as close to the battery as you can. Probably a 250 amp fuse. I know it sounds high, but the current draw of a 2000w inverter on surge of 3000w is 3000/12v= 250 amps.

When I installed my Xantrex inverter on my boat I spent as much on wire, connections and fuses as I did on the inverter.

Ditch the fuse and pick up a circuit breaker like this.

They come in many sizes from about 20 amp to 300 amps or so.

Your local car audio place should be able to get you one.

dc-breaker-large-500x500.png