Transducer troubleshooting

b_cdot

Just bought a Lowrance Totalscan transducer the start of the year. I noticed when travelling 30+mph I lose my sonar view completely and sometimes my depth reading. Even when traveling 10-20+mph it's a crappy sonar picture. My old transducer would pick up great views at higher speeds. I could tell when I was travelling over a weed bed or a drop off going 40+mph. Not anymore. Has anyone had this problem? Could it be mounted wrong? I was told to try and have half the transducer below the hull and the other half above... if that makes any sense. Here is a picture. Any suggestions?

trans.jpg

Edited by b_cdot

Not the same transducer, but similar in size, my lss-2 is mounted about 1/8" above the bottom of the hull. But it's only used for down and side imaging.

The manual for the total scan states to mount even with hull so I would try raising it a tad.

Edited by dan668

Mine throws a big rooster too, they fixed it on the totalscan transducer which uses a newer bracket. I have to pick one up as it's compatible with my lss-2.

Water turbulence is most likely the issue, these long ones don't like to be mounted below unlike the skimmer transducers.

Edited by dan668

If you used to get good readings at 40mph that seems like an anomaly to me. That's possible? I've never seen it.

I thought getting a reading at 25mph was pretty good....

No interference on the screen over 10mph would seem pretty good to me. But I'm not a fishfinder guru. I get a lot of interference on mine when travelling at any speeds and loose it around 20-25.

I have two big Garmin ones to install on my boat this weekend.

Going to be fun trying to tune these things.

My current skimmer transducer on my old Lowrance has no issue reading bottom in 300' at 35-40 MPH.

My Elite 5 DSI loses bottom at 20 MPH.

Hopefully these Garmins read at speed or I'm gonna have a whole herd of finders on my console!!!! :whistling:

I think those rivets are fine.

Is that other transducer in use. And if so the wires are likely together. bad bad bad.

Are the transducer cables mixed in with a bunch of other wires. bad bad bad.

Are your units wired thru fuse panel. bad bad bad.

Does your transducer cables lay across your battery's bad bad bad.

Yes I'm sure it's poor installation.

Mine throws a big rooster too, they fixed it on the totalscan transducer which uses a newer bracket.

They may have hoped to, but I don't think they did. Either that or my install is bad bad bad lol.

Edited by porkpie

I have two big Garmin ones to install on my boat this weekend.

Going to be fun trying to tune these things.

My current skimmer transducer on my old Lowrance has no issue reading bottom in 300' at 35-40 MPH.

My Elite 5 DSI loses bottom at 20 MPH.

Hopefully these Garmins read at speed or I'm gonna have a whole herd of finders on my console!!!! :whistling:

What transducer did you get with your Garmin Drifter ?

What transducer did you get with your Garmin Drifter ?

My Echomap Chirp 93sv unit has a CV52HW-TM and my Echomap 74Ssv non-chirp unit came with a GT41-TM.

They are different frequency units which is good for interference.

Going to use the 74sv for navigation and the 93sv as a finder.

The non-chirp ducer is twice the size of the chirp one.

P8020160_zps9qf4kblw.jpg

My Echomap Chirp 93sv unit has a CV52HW-TM and my Echomap 74Ssv non-chirp unit came with a GT41-TM.

They are different frequency units which is good for interference.

Going to use the 74sv for navigation and the 93sv as a finder.

The non-chirp ducer is twice the size of the chirp one.

P8020160_zps9qf4kblw.jpg

You are going to love the QuickDraw feature ?

Do you plan on using them in US and coastal waters ?

Edited by stonefish

EASY FIX in about 2 minutes or less.......

Simply loosen transducer adjustment and tilt the back of the transducer DOWN just a little bit so it now throws the sonar beam slightly towards the bow.........this will insure a constant flow of water over the ENTIRE surface of the transducer......high speed reading at ANY speed......

EASY FIX in about 2 minutes or less.......

Simply loosen transducer adjustment and tilt the back of the transducer DOWN just a little bit so it now throws the sonar beam slightly towards the bow.........this will insure a constant flow of water over the ENTIRE surface of the transducer......high speed reading at ANY speed......

Great discussion everyone. Thanks for replies. I just recently tilted it up thinking i would get a better view of structure scan when traveling at low speed due to the transom sitting lower at those speeds. Obviously that was probably my big mistake. I tilted it down slightly. I will follow up with results. I can see how a slight tilt of the transducer can really increase turbulence and disrupt clean water flow across it evenly.

I noticed something similar on mine. I've only tried it out once but I noticed I lost my depth reading when on plane.. Well the map was showing 20ft and the depth was showing 1.5..scared me for a second but fortunately the fish I caught shortly after made me forget until now. if I can get out tommorow I'll check the sonar part. Let us know how it works with the ducer tilted down.

I had a huge rooster tail on my Humminbird when I installed it a few years ago. Went on their site and talked to a customer service tech. They actually sell a rubber insert that fills the void in the bracket. Humminbird said they are free but rather than wait for it from the US I bought one for 5 bucks at the Marine dealer. Buddy had the same issue on a new Garmin and he simply filled the void with 3M 4200. His rooster tail went away as well. I have a Bird sonar and a Garmin on the dash. I adjusted both while in the water one day with my dive mask, PFD and fins on then buddy took the boat out at WOT. Got both to read at high speed and accurate trolling. No other boat traffic anywhere close that day and had my dive flag with me.

Edited by Old Ironmaker