Transducer troubleshooting

b_cdot

That's not a smidge. Is it level to the surface when not at WOT? You may be receiving a picture when stopped that is nowhere under the boat, especially in deep water.

I agree 1.5 to 2" is not a smidge but I'm thinking he's over exaggerating.......but so what if the sonar beam is shooting a bit forward and even slightly ahead of the boat in deep water.....if your trolling this is helpful.

Bottom line, tilting the back of the transducer down a little corrects the problem of not having any readings at high speed which could be a VERY dangerous situation in unfamiliar waters.

Glad to hear he got it going..........

Yep Mr. G. better tilted down than up but I was taking the inches tilted literally. In 10' of water no big deal in 300 feet of water depending on cone angle you may be 100's of feet in front of the boat. I know someone a lot better in arithmetic than I could even figure the exact number.

You could mark fish well before your presentation gets to it trolling. It may be advantageous actually when running full out to see what's well ahead of your boat. You will get a shallow water alarm before you hit the shallow water, which depending how fast you are going is usually too late.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yep Mr. G. better tilted down than up but I was taking the inches tilted literally. In 10' of water no big deal in 300 feet of water depending on cone angle you may be 100's of feet in front of the boat. I know someone a lot better in arithmetic than I could even figure the exact number.

You could mark fish well before your presentation gets to it trolling. It may be advantageous actually when running full out to see what's well ahead of your boat. You will get a shallow water alarm before you hit the shallow water, which depending how fast you are going is usually too late.

I concur all your above points.........the only problem could be that the fish arks will not be perfect but rather 3/4 or 1/2 arks and so what........the most important is high speed reading, I sure we can all agree on............or . . . . . . . . . .LOL

Compared to where I had it with it tilted up slightly, 1.5 inches got it pretty level with the hull. I will post pics asap and you can see. 1.5 inches really isn't as much as you might think compared to how it was. If its angled towards the front of the boat it is very minimal and probably negligible for the water I fish.

That's not a smidge. Is it level to the surface when not at WOT? You may be receiving a picture when stopped that is nowhere under the boat, especially in deep water.

That is the exact reason why I had it tilted up slightly before because with the transom of the boat being lower at rest I was trying to do a rough compensation to get a straight down picture. It worked good at rest. I could see my jig right under the boat in 40fow jigging right off the transom. But once I got up on plane I'd lose bottom pretty quick. I want the best of both worlds its some super fine tuning for that transducer if you ask me.

Compared to where I had it with it tilted up slightly, 1.5 inches got it pretty level with the hull. I will post pics asap and you can see. 1.5 inches really isn't as much as you might think compared to how it was. If its angled towards the front of the boat it is very minimal and probably negligible for the water I fish.

Ya, that makes sense eh..........one less thing to worry about....... :)

Is it the small transducer you are concerned with or the large structure scan one? The SS one doesn't look bad but the small one is too high...if the manufacturer is right it should have the horizontal centreline of the transducer even with the bottom of the boat.

line_draw_lowrance.jpg

Edited by G.mech

Is it the small transducer you are concerned with or the large structure scan one? The SS one doesn't look bad but the small one is too high...if the manufacturer is right is should have the horizontal centreline of the transducer even with the bottom of the boat.

I agree, it could be slid down about 1/2" or so.......