Just a beautiful day to fish and a little story

Old Ironmaker

Had to swing by Dunnville today so I drove to the park and pier at the end of the Grand River, Port Maitland. It was wonderful to see at least 50 people shore fishing there and families going for a stroll, what a beauty of a Good Friday.

So anyway, everyone always fishes the river side along the park and the pier. I walk along the west side of the pier and peek down in the water and see a pod of Perch feeding. I walked over to a few oldtimes (my age probably) and tell them I see fish on the other side. " A terse "we're good buddy" is their reply. A young family is about 40 feet away and I tell them the same thing. "Thank you very much Sir" and the young husband goes over and peeks over the wall, he moves the 2 kids and wife there and set up. Before he could set up the second kid, kid #1 has a fish on. Not 5 minutes latter "oldtimers" are setting up 2 feet from them. I couldn't help myself and asked the oldtimers "I thought you were good?" By the time I got to the lot most were fishing that side of the pier. I don't blame them all but give someone more than 2 feet of room. I think the fish were there because of protection from the NW wind and I told that to young Dad after he thanked me again and commented they never fish that side. Everyday fishing is different.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Good on you for helping out...and like you said what a beauty day.

If your a shore fisherman you better have thick skin. I hit a normal spring shore haunt for perch today. Get there early....5:30AM to get my spot...and then the weekend warriors who fish twice a year start showing up at 9AM and try to move in on you. I told one guy today who moved in on me to give me my space because I'm fishing with an 11 foot long rod. He looked at me like he didn't understand english... so I swung the end of my rod around to show him that it had been broken off before...and asked him how he thought my rod already had the tip broken off. He gave me my space after that. Luckily I never had to tell him that I actually busted the tip off myself on a hook set under a bridge :whistling:

Good on you for helping out...and like you said what a beauty day.

If your a shore fisherman you better have thick skin. I hit a normal spring shore haunt for perch today. Get there early....5:30AM to get my spot...

Did you get supper Sir?

Haha....its even better in person. I battled a crowd from my boat today. Ive given up on all humanity now....haha

S.

I was very surprised not to see a single trailer in the lot. Not even Fish Farmers.

All peoples fishing problems usually originate from other people and their problems. lol.

Exactly.

On a side note, insomnia strikes again. Tired as all heck and can't fall asleep.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Good for you for helping the dad and the 2 new recruits to the fishing world. One would hope that those 'old guys' would have learned enough sense by now to give the kids a little space---maybe even help them a bit as you did. From my experience, nothing beats the excitement on a kid's face when he or she lands even a minnow size fish!

Nice story! My plan is to go there tomorrow with the family for a little redemption for last years fish that cut me off lol. Hopefully some fish around.

The few times I have been to maitland Pier, I too noticed everyone fishing the river side. When I would ask those fishing why no one fished the other side, they simply said there are no fish there!