Trout 2-4 weeks after ice off?

Sterling

Wondering where you guys would target trout 2-4 weeks after ice off? I've done trout fishing RIGHT after ice off and they were pretty much right on surface.

How soon do they start going deeper?

This would be for a lake located near the southern point of James Bay. I suspect the ice comes off late April or early May. We're fishing the lake on opener (June 7th).

According to locals, the lake has never been fished for trout. This is going to be awesome!

Is there trout there lol. Odd nobody has fished for them

Sounds like a blast however, good luck!

The "locals" are a handful of native folk, we know them well. Been doing trips to this place for 18 years! And 2 years ago they caught a monstrous laker in their net while harvesting walleye. We had no idea they were even in the lake to begin with!

I wouldn't listen to the locals, lol. Depends on water temp, but that for north they could either be right on top or spread out everywhere like they usually are right after ice out.

Welp, nobody really fishes the lake aside from a handful of native people. They get a storage bin full of fish every few weeks, caught through nets. They only target walleye and white fish. I just happened to notice a huge laker in their bin and asked about it. Couldn't believe my eyes - fished there for 18 years thinking the lake held just walleye. But it makes sense, the lake is deep in some areas.

The ice usually comes off the lakes​ around here late April/early May lol, James Bay will be a few weeks later. They will be shallow, the water will be ice cold.

Yeah my dates may be messed up. Earliest I've been was mid-June and yes, the water was cold!!

How would I go about finding them? Go to deep areas, but fish shallow?

Edited by Sterling

Exactly what Joeytier said . From my experience the lake trout really don't start getting active till that first warm spell after ice out .

Once that warm shot hits , the lake comes alive and the lakes food chain really ramps up and the lakers become super active .

If you can time it right , start in the north - north west part of the lake (warmest water) and troll . You don't have to be in deep water

either. On my spring trip I will troll around in these bays and they range from 10-30ft deep .

Anyways , this pattern really works for us and is worth a shot in your lake . You might be surprised !

Don't know how big this lake is to check out but I would start by giving a quick buzz around and find the warmest water in the lake. Creeks are a big bonus. So is deeper structure nearby. That warmer water is where the lake's "bioculture" will be the most active with those colder water temps.
I will say that I find it strange that if they natives are targeting Whitefish with nets they haven't had more of an incidental Laker catch, or even target them as well.

Good luck on your trip.

Here's the lake for the curious; https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lac+Jolliet/@51.531796,-76.8958439,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d1d14c4e884e877:0x619b39ed95a61aa1!8m2!3d51.565845!4d-76.8345822

Don't mind sharing as I doubt anyone will actually make the trip. Limits in this area have been cut in half and you need a right of way from the natives in order to fish the lake.

Don't know how big this lake is to check out but I would start by giving a quick buzz around and find the warmest water in the lake. Creeks are a big bonus. So is deeper structure nearby. That warmer water is where the lake's "bioculture" will be the most active with those colder water temps.
I will say that I find it strange that if they natives are targeting Whitefish with nets they haven't had more of an incidental Laker catch, or even target them as well.

Good luck on your trip.

Good point, I'm sure it happens more with white fish. I haven't been around during white fish season, only when they were harvesting walleye.

Like other guys have mentioned, it sounds odd. In a storage bin full of fish there's only 1 laker and it's a monster.

It sounds like the laker population might be very small and they might not be reproducing anymore.

Definitely possible. This area is affected by the LG hydro dams, which as we know can kill off entire spawns if water draws are timed right.

How deep is the lake?

The locals say there is lakers in there or that's the first one they've seen?

Do they charge you to fish the lake? Lol

I find the spring lake trout fishing easier/ better about 3 weeks after ice out when the water's warmer, say in the 50's. If the water's cold, in the 30's, they are often deep, scattered and not very active.

Me thinks your strategy to go after Trout in a lake not known to hold them is an exercise in frustration. That big Laker might have taken a wrong turn and ended up in a no Trout lake. Why do you want to punish yourself because you saw 1 solitary Trout in 18 years? I think the biggest info is the locals don't fish for them, ask yourself why? The Family has fished a smallish Upper NY State lake since the 50's, me since the 80's. In all that time a single solitary Walleye was caught in it by cousin Frank back in the 80's and nothing reported since. It was such a big deal it hit the weekly rag in Teresa NY. The fish got into there because it as well took a wrong turn. Bring some Pickerel Rigs too. Why punish yourself Sterling, why?

In the meantime I hope you hammer that Trout, notice the singular.

I've never tried that Rick, I'll add it to my arsenal! :)

Hahaha I did it once with the MNR. It's unreal what pops up.

We did this area of lake of the woods I walleye fish alot, also for Whitey's and pan fish.

We got tonnes of musky and pike in the 50-57" range, mind blown!

Oh and like 8 billion tulibee

Edited by manitoubass2

How deep is the lake?

The locals say there is lakers in there or that's the first one they've seen?

Do they charge you to fish the lake? Lol

I find the spring lake trout fishing easier/ better about 3 weeks after ice out when the water's warmer, say in the 50's. If the water's cold, in the 30's, they are often deep, scattered and not very active.

Over 100ft deep on the west side. And about 80ft deep in the center. There are shallow bays where we fish strictly for walleye. In fact most of our fishing was done in these bays, I believe this is why we never hooked onto a laker (assuming they're populous in the lake).

The locals said there are lakers after I inquired about the big one.

Is the lake surrounded by treaty land?

That's the only way you'd need permission to park there.

Yes, the Weh-Sees-Indohoun. You can camp all you want in the area. In several northern Quebec zones you are required to "right of access" (Droit D'acces) for fishing though.

Me thinks your strategy to go after Trout in a lake not known to hold them is an exercise in frustration. That big Laker might have taken a wrong turn and ended up in a no Trout lake. Why do you want to punish yourself because you saw 1 solitary Trout in 18 years? I think the biggest info is the locals don't fish for them, ask yourself why? The Family has fished a smallish Upper NY State lake since the 50's, me since the 80's. In all that time a single solitary Walleye was caught in it by cousin Frank back in the 80's and nothing reported since. It was such a big deal it hit the weekly rag in Teresa NY. The fish got into there because it as well took a wrong turn. Bring some Pickerel Rigs too. Why punish yourself Sterling, why?

In the meantime I hope you hammer that Trout, notice the singular.

You're 100% correct. We fish walleye in the morning/evening and lakers will be a side activity. If I'm not successful that's ok, walleye will be plentiful otherwise.