NF-Question for the carpet guys

LostAnotherOne

Just asked to complete a job for someone installing running carpet down there stairs. Just a few questions cause it's a first for me. Does it matter if I start at the top or bottom? Should I lay down underlayment.? What about using a stapler instead of carpet nails? Of course theres a curve at the bottom of the stairs so if anyones got advice on that that would be great. Thanks

OK put the underlay (underpad) down first. It only goes on the tread part of the step, start at the back of the tread (tread is the part of the step that you step on) and bring the under pad all the way to just under the nose of the stair. Use staples to secure it and just tack it on the parameter.

To start for the carpet; Are you running the the carpet in the middle of the stairs like a runner? or are you covering the whole stair? It really doesn't make a huge difference for the concept of the install but there is tips for each.

Carpet: Start again at the bottom of the stair case. Using staples hold the carpet the riser of the bottom most step. Make sure to staple the carpet right at the nose of the stair. Then roll the carpet around the stair and pull it tight to the back of the tread where the riser and tread meet. Staple it there into the tread of the step. Put a crease in the carpet to help fold it up the riser and again staple it at the bottom of the riser and the top near the nose. repeat this until you get to the top step. If you notice the carpet is not tight or snug on the stair you can staple the outter edges of the parameter.

If you are doing the running the install is the same but you will staple the outter edges on the tread for each step.

PM me if you run into trouble. Best of luck.

FYI buy an electric pin stable or rent one they are worth gold for this install.

Edited by Korber