Boat ramp etiquette

captpierre

On two occasions I've launched my boat down the middle of a dual ramp launch site while guys are standing waist deep in the water, pushing and pulling on their freakin boats trying to line up the rollers. Drives me nuts.

I had a guy give me hell for launching to the side of the concrete pad one time, because he was taking too long getting his boat out. I gave up on waiting and just backed down the gravel, dropped the boat in, and he went nuts saying that I was launching out of turn, I was wrecking the gravel...blah, blah, blah.....I didn't say a word, just parked and hopped in the boat laughing while he struggle to line up the rollers on his fully submerged trailer.

S.

For entertainment get a table on the deck at Hoover's Marina in Nanticoke on any weekend. Prime time is on the Sunday of the Pottahawk bash weekend watching hung over boaters try and retrieve their big Go Fast boats. One youngster put a 15 foot long gouge in his shiny Cigarette boat. His buddy says "your father is gonna kill you", he replied "he doesn't know I took the boat", ouch.

I am still seething about that ramp, I go and park the trailer and my wife (her 1st time putting the boat in) who I left on the dock is holding the bowline, the boat is now on the opposite side of the dock with the engine against the shore, lucky it was grass and not a wall. There are at least 6 guys standing there holding their drinks watching her struggle and a restaurant patio full of people 25 feet away. I ripped into those guys and they slithered away. My fault 100% for not tying off the boat myself and shouldn't have put her in that situation on a weekend. I was wrong thinking she would tie off the lines. I was in a hurry too. So the moral of this story is to make sure you and the 1st mate know what each have to do and know how before launching and don't be in a hurry launching a boat. What is an extra 5 minutes to the guy waiting? I have seen fisticuffs over 5 minutes at that ramp. Hoovers Marina has the worse launch in our area and it is the most expensive too. Besides the idiots, yes me too that day, those steel docks will leave a mark on the boat if you aren't holding the boat, they don't even have cleats or rings to tie off to just steel posts. Terrible, ask Fish Farmer. Eh Dave?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yes Grimsby, I have seen it and the organization of those involved is fantastic, even the amateur tourneys like the 444 it goes like clock work. But these guys launch almost everyday not once a week or a few times a month. The more you practice the luckier you get.

The best ramp is at North Erie Marina in Pt. Bruce. You are in and out in no time, 1 worker gets in the water and pulls your boat to the dock, a second person follows you to the parking lot in the Golf cart and gives you a ride back to the launch. By the time you get back the next boat in line is in the water and the guy in the Golf cart follows him etc. Smooth operation. These guys know the faster in and out the more money they make. Most marinas are there to take your money and that's as far as they go.

For entertainment get a table on the deck at Hoover's Marina in Nanticoke on any weekend. Prime time is on the Sunday of the Pottahawk bash weekend watching hung over boaters try and retrieve their big Go Fast boats. One youngster put a 15 foot long gouge in his shiny Cigarette boat. His buddy says "your father is gonna kill you", he replied "he doesn't know I took the boat", ouch.

Oh, Hoovers. Bad enough on a normal day, I can only imagine it on Pottahawk weekend. Port Maitland is also nicely set up to chew up boats if not tied off properly.

Your story reminds me of when HTHM took me out and while waiting to load we watched a kid drop his parent's boat off the roller trailer because he had unhooked everything before backing down the ramp. Quick tap of the brakes and it's off!

It sure is a Zoo at Hoovers and yes that free steel dock at Maitlland can put a nice dent on your boat especially if the wind is up. For that reason I go to Fishmaster's up river a few miles.

I saw a boat slide off the trailer 4 feet from the water. The guy had put that slippery plastic stuff on the bunks like Fish Farmer has and unhooked before he was in the water, I learned a good lesson that day. They sure are slippery. He snapped the bottom end off his new Yamaha and tore the transom off the boat. Man I felt for the poor guy.

Oh, Hoovers. Bad enough on a normal day, I can only imagine it on Pottahawk weekend. Port Maitland is also nicely set up to chew up boats if not tied off properly.

Your story reminds me of when HTHM took me out and while waiting to load we watched a kid drop his parent's boat off the roller trailer because he had unhooked everything before backing down the ramp. Quick tap of the brakes and it's off!

That reminds me Tom, I need to go out with you and certain man with the initials S.S. for some fishing'nbullsh**in this season. Perhaps StClair for Musky?

My fishing partner have it down to a science. My boat or his, One backs boat in the other is in boat. If you have 2 experienced people piece of cake. Fire the boat in and don't take up dock space. Truck gets parked, partner picks you up at dock, bass start biting and all is good.

A bit tougher on your own but if you plan properly and take your time its only a few minutes. Crystal Beach launch is a great place to have a picnic if you want to watch some boat launch follies.

My brother and I used to pride ourselves on our launches at Bronte, Port Credit and Queenston etc.

I'd be backing in quick, he'd be on the tiller and dry start it a bit early, I'd hit the brakes and off he'd go and I'd leave a little rubber on the ramp on my way up.