Disgusting

dave524

Ok, thx---never caught a sturgeon or saw one up really close.

Yeah, you dont wanna be the guy caugjt poaching sturgeon. Its WAAAAAY stiffer laws than other gamefish. These are a protected species.

Ive caught them walleye fishing but you cant target them thats for sure.

The MNR are cool about a quick pic and release but your actually not supposed to even remove them from the water as youde be in possession.

My area is where they spawn in huge numbers. So I see alot of people get busted targeting them

Anyways back on topic

I see nets set here and they are all identified (on rainy river)

I see a few nets here and there on LOTWs unidentified and call them in.

Ive only been asked by COs to call them in but im not sure of the legalities of it???

I think they are interested mainly in unattended nets but im not positive on that.

A net should only be out for 8 to 12 hours. Otherwise its gonna risk spoiling gamefish

So a net has to be identified or it isn't? It would have to be one dumb poacher to ID his nets.

Akri, you were speeding. You got caught. All Cops should also act as Conservation Officers and trained to do so. That won't be happening I'm afraid.

Are Police allowed to fine violators as would a C.O.?

Those pics of dead Sturgeon make my stomach sour. What kind of animal would do that? I'm all in for capital punishment for crimes to natures innocent animals by sub human animals. I was told by some unsavoury men when I was a kid if you are going to commit a crime do it in Ontario.

Not to be taken as a political comment.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

So a net has to be identified or it isn't? It would have to be one dumb poacher to ID his nets.

Akri, you were speeding. You got caught. All Cops should also act as Conservation Officers and trained to do so. That won't be happening I'm afraid.

Are Police allowed to fine violators as would a C.O.?

Yes, police can act on conservation laws 100%

The only kicker is a police officer cannot confiscate your vehicle/gear, or enter your home without a search warrant.

A CO can.

Edited by manitoubass2

As far as I.D. on a minnow trap if I remember right if it is a commercial trapper it needs to be ID'd or it is a fish cage for game fish those need an ID. I don't need a to ID my trap on my property. I need to find it. I grabbed 1/2 dozen copies of the regs last year as they are so rare, think I kept one?

I'm wrong, again. It says bait traps need ID and only a license holder can trap bait. I take that to be a person with a Fishing license. Nothing about ID for a dip net. You would be the ID as you need to throw it. Better have your fishing license on you.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yes, police can act on conservation laws 100%

The only kicker is a police officer cannot confiscate your vehicle/gear, or enter your home without a search warrant.

A CO can.

Not to split hairs as it's kind of off topic but as you say, a CO can enter a building without a warrant but NOT your dwelling. This is a common misconception that they would like you to believe but it's simply not true. It is covered in Section 90 of the Fish and Wildlife Act which states:

Inspection of places

90. (1) For the purpose of this Act or the regulations, a conservation officer may enter and inspect a building or other place in which the conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds there is any work or undertaking or any other thing to which this Act or the regulations apply, including,

(a) a building or other place where licences are issued;

(b.) a building or other place that relates to wildlife, invertebrates or fish; or

© a building or other place that relates to hunting, trapping or fishing or to the transport, buying or selling of wildlife, invertebrates or fish. 1997, c. 41, s. 90 (1); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (24).

Farmed animals

(2) Subsection (1) does not permit the entry or inspection of a building or other place for a purpose related to farmed animals. 1997, c. 41, s. 90 (2).

Dwellings

(3) Subject to subsection (4), subsection (1) does not apply to a building or part of a building that is being used as a dwelling. 1997, c. 41, s. 90 (3).

Warrant for dwelling

(4) A justice of the peace may issue a warrant authorizing a conservation officer to enter a dwelling if the justice is satisfied, by information given under oath or affirmation in an application without notice,

(a) that the conditions required for entry under subsection (1) exist in relation to the dwelling; and

(b.) that entry to the dwelling has been refused or there are reasonable grounds to believe that entry will be refused. 1997, c. 41, s. 90 (4).

Edited by G.mech