Where to go?

Korber

Hello All,

My wife and I normally have a week away together, always up north and always with fishing in mind. We have been to Restoule, Canisbay, Kiosk, Bancroft, Whitney.

We frequently go to a friends cottage just off the 127 highway. This year we are using our week to work on the house but I still would like to get out for 3-4 days.

Any suggestions on where to go? Advice on parks? I'd like to keep the drive under 4 hours from KW area, but good fishing is key. I fish mainly Pike and Bass, but I have bought a pan fish rod this year to help keep me fed :)

LMK what you guys have experience wise.

Cheer :)

Cottage rental, trailer, camping? And when? Obviously after the end of June if you go after Bass. I found it tough when we rented to find a good cottage if not booking for the entire week in the summer, but they are out there if you look close enough. Sometimes we would book the entire week and it was less than booking by the night at the same place and would offer the balance to a friend or relative for cheap. More than once another couple would come up and the ladies would spend a night or 2 and drive back together then buddy and I would fish together for the rest of the week then head home. That worked out perfect.

Knowing what accommodations you need and when would help us steer you in the right direction Korber. The choices are endless 4 hours from you in Ontario. We are in the best area in the entire World to choose from for a fishing get away. The best.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the response Ironmaker and great point. I think camping would be the best option for me. We have a great tent/setup. We would be open to renting a Cottage/ trailer though if the price was cheap enough.

I think we are thinking June/July for timing as well.

I hope this helps for some ideas.

Camping will give you many options. You can't swing a cat in southern Ontario and the near north without hitting a beautiful Provincial Park or county conservation area you can pitch a tent.

The few times we camped and fished from shore of rented a boat for a few days was at "Lovesick Lake" camp grounds. We could walk across the road and fish Burleigh Falls from the rocks. We loved snorkeling below the falls, the walk across the rapids was an adventure. Some of the best shoreline fishing around back then. Smallies, Pike, Perch and Pickerel from the rocks on the Stoney Lake side. Rented tinnies from the camp there and fished the smallish Lovesick lake too.

I know Lou would know if the campsite is still open. I was surprised to see how commercial it got in that stretch when I took a short ride there from a camp at Clear Lake 10 years ago. Now I hear those cottages are gone and a few McMansions were built where the cottages were.

I just Wikigoogled Lovesick Lake campground, they are still there and have tent site, trailers and cottages for rent. Check it out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the response Ironmaker and great point. I think camping would be the best option for me. We have a great tent/setup. We would be open to renting a Cottage/ trailer though if the price was cheap enough.

I think we are thinking June/July for timing as well.

I hope this helps for some ideas.

If you have a boat Beausoleil Island out of Honey Harbour is a really good time.

Lots of good fishing too. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beausoleil_Island

I like the looks of that area too. SO far all of the suggestions look amazing! It will be tough to pick one! Maybe more then one trip should be planned.

Thanks again boys, Much appreciated.

Either place (or places) you go to enjoy and post up a report. ;)