Snowmobiler through the ice and missing in Peterborough

Tjames09

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/01/11/man-missing-after-snowmobile-goes-through-stoney-lake-north-of-peterborough

Terrible news. One rescued and one missing. Happened yesterday (wednesday). Not sure what the weather was in Peterborough yesterday but in York Region it was 10*c and raining pretty heavily.

This accident happened just 1 mile north of my place and I sure hope it wasn't anyone I know.

The helicopter flew above my house on the way south then a short time later it came over again heading back up. It was flying very low and I said to my wife something bad must have happened close by.

Strange too as I was working outside a couple hours earlier and a snowmobile was running real fast on the lake and I wondered then if the ice was safe as there hasn't been many machines on the lake this winter.

Always sad when this sorta thing happens to folks just out for some fun.

The problem with snowmobilers going through the ice is speed. The are going so fast down the lake that by the time they realize they are in a bad place, its too late.

I don't know if this happened at night or not, but night time is even worse.

The place they went in is a very well known bad area that hardly freezes on the best years.

S.

Sad anyway you cut it ! Condolences to the families.

I'll add a caution here.. as I suspect most will read this thread... that if anyone is considering Lake Temagami for ice fishing Whities, before Lakers open on Feb 15th think again!!!

We had a VERY experienced lake resident wash his sled today that lives on an island just North of Bear Island. He has decades of experience, knows where the lake freezes and doesn't. He had already travelled his packed trail for the past week, yet went through this morning. There is only 1" of ice in the majority of the Hub area of the lake. Bear Island has a sled only trail in place, but even it is questionable.

The problem with snowmobilers going through the ice is speed. The are going so fast down the lake that by the time they realize they are in a bad place, its too late.

I don't know if this happened at night or not, but night time is even worse.

The place they went in is a very well known bad area that hardly freezes on the best years.

S.

Their problem isn't speed it's panic! I have run open water on sleds going back to when a 20 hp Kohler was considered a big machine. Throttle open, weight back

go straight. If you do have to make a turn do it very gradually. Too often when people realize there is a problem their reaction is to hit the brakes, try to swerve, or jump off.

Regardless it's always sad when someone looses a life!