Scugog Carp Dying By The Thousands Massive Clean Up

dsn

Not sure if any one posted this yet... Massive clean up is under way and they actually shceduled pick up days for the dead carp. Cause theres so many of them they can't clean them up all in shot.

239494_3.JPG

Check it out in the following link....

Star.

Edited by dsn

I read in the Lindsay "This Week" that residents will not be charged as long as they keep the carp double bagged and not combined with their normal garbage...

Bloody nice of the township eh?

Wow...glad I didn't take the little one to Scugog for panfish today!! YUCK!

The older guy in the article says that he believes its because of the weeds and low oxygen. I dont agree with that...carp do well in that environment. If it was oxygen depletion, than all other species would be dieing off big time as well.

Thats pretty sweet

The MNR says, "we don't know whats killing them" "it will take 2 weeks for test results" "it poses no threat to humans"

How can anybody in their right mind say that?

Our tax dollars at work, for another coverup.

My wife and I decided to rent a car and go for a drive - we drove to Port Perry - my first visit to Lake Scugog. Fishing wasn't really on the agenda and when we reached Scugog I wasn't tempted to either - just in Port Perry by the marina/park there were 5-6 decomposing carp on the shore and what with the warm weather everywhere stank of rotting fish. I asked the girl at the boat rental what was causing it and she said that the rumour is its a virus and is only affecting the carp.

My wife and I decided to rent a car and go for a drive - we drove to Port Perry - my first visit to Lake Scugog. Fishing wasn't really on the agenda and when we reached Scugog I wasn't tempted to either - just in Port Perry by the marina/park there were 5-6 decomposing carp on the shore and what with the warm weather everywhere stank of rotting fish. I asked the girl at the boat rental what was causing it and she said that the rumour is its a virus and is only affecting the carp.

Have you seen any other boats on the water fishing? even with this mess ?

I was out there on Wed. looking for some 'skis. Launched off the island. As soon as I got to the water, there were Carp everywhere. Smelled so bad I debated leaving. But didn't. The amount of fish floating across the lake and in the weed mats was incredible. Its only Carp, though. Didn't see anything else up top. There were some Carp still nosing their way around. The strong will survive.

Seems like every year there is a new die-off somewhere. The St.Lawrence Musky die-off was early season last year. Wasn't it? Strange days indeed.

you guys that dont care about all the carp dying should give your heads a shake. we shouldnt just turn the other way because they are considered a pest by many. we should be concerned because this could possibly happen to any other species in the future and we need to find out what caused it and if we can prevent it from happening again.

ive seen carp living in some pretty nasty water so i doubt its from the weeds or lack of oxygen. id guess that the lady at the boat rental place was correct about it being a virus of some sort. maybe some angry fisherman bought some carp poison from the black market and took matters into his own hands! :whistling:

• 1 year later...

CARP COVER UP REVEALED

Dara has the right idea. It doesn’t make sense when the MNR says ‘we don’t know what’s killing them but it posses no threat to humans’. They couldn‘t know that, unless they know something that we don‘t.

If something doesn’t make sense stop listening to what you are told and consider the facts. I have just learned from a reliable inside source that Dara is correct in assuming a cover up.

Experts have confirmed that this bacteria found in the carp can not kill them so the bacteria/virus story doesn’t fly. Environmental changes would be killing more than carp so that doesn’t work either.

If the MNR doesn’t know what it is, why would they encourage us to continue using the water? The unknown posses a risk so why would they want us taking a risk?

So here is the answer.

In an attempt to maintain the cash flow we take in here from summer cottagers a plan was put forward to remove the abundance of weeds in our lakes. The MNR have scattered weed killing pellets through our lakes. These pellets are toxic to ingest and because carp are our primary bottom feeders here they are ingesting mass quantities of these pellets. The plan backfired because dead carp are even more disgusting than weeds. That is why these die offs are isolated to specific lakes. That is why the MNR is encouraging people to keep using the water. If people are scarred away from their cottages their weed killing plan will have been an even bigger disaster.

i heard last year from one old russian fisherman, that the carp dieoff is because of chemicals that get in the water from farmers fields after rain,

why carp, cause carp is artifficial fish that were bred mainly for food by monks in euroasia and doesnt have good imune system for changes in water quality.

Last years (2007) news...Why dig it up ?

It was determined that the Koi Herpes Virus infected the carp and left them in a weakened condition so that the columnerus (sp) bacteria finished them off...

This years outbreak appears to be in the waters that weren't affected last year...

Good news bad news:

Good news...those carp that survived last year's outbreak (younger, smaller carp) seem to have developed an immunity to the virus...

Bad news...the carp that survived and were tested this year seem to be carriers of the virus...

This info I got from a local bait and tackle dealer as told to him by a MNR official...

The columnerus (sp) bacteria is in the water all the time and will infect any species of fish if it is in a weakened condition or has open sores...

Wow...glad I didn't take the little one to Scugog for panfish today!! YUCK!

The older guy in the article says that he believes its because of the weeds and low oxygen. I dont agree with that...carp do well in that environment. If it was oxygen depletion, than all other species would be dieing off big time as well.

I don't agree with that also. Phosphorus levels have always been particularly high for the lake.. if oxygen depletion were the case, the more sensitive species like walleye would be the first to go, not the carp.

Leave it up to the Star to gather the most outrageous propaganda and tak it onto their prints...

BOOOOOOHH to the STAR. I'm sorry, they're a bunch of fascits turds. Still, I feel for the poor guy who has to round up those putrifying carcaces..

He outta mulch em up and market them as the best fertilizer and sell them to the locals who own large healthy lawns on the shoreline. This might actually help reduce the the algae blooms in the lake.

Someone's gotta benefit from this!!

cheers

HD

CARP COVER UP REVEALED

Dara has the right idea. It doesn’t make sense when the MNR says ‘we don’t know what’s killing them but it posses no threat to humans’. They couldn‘t know that, unless they know something that we don‘t.

If something doesn’t make sense stop listening to what you are told and consider the facts. I have just learned from a reliable inside source that Dara is correct in assuming a cover up.

Experts have confirmed that this bacteria found in the carp can not kill them so the bacteria/virus story doesn’t fly. Environmental changes would be killing more than carp so that doesn’t work either.

If the MNR doesn’t know what it is, why would they encourage us to continue using the water? The unknown posses a risk so why would they want us taking a risk?

So here is the answer.

In an attempt to maintain the cash flow we take in here from summer cottagers a plan was put forward to remove the abundance of weeds in our lakes. The MNR have scattered weed killing pellets through our lakes. These pellets are toxic to ingest and because carp are our primary bottom feeders here they are ingesting mass quantities of these pellets. The plan backfired because dead carp are even more disgusting than weeds. That is why these die offs are isolated to specific lakes. That is why the MNR is encouraging people to keep using the water. If people are scarred away from their cottages their weed killing plan will have been an even bigger disaster.

No way... It's not a cover up. Brilliant hypothesis, but one founded primarily by fear and ignorance from local banter among those who don't know any better.

Just like the Star!!

Nice first post. I want what you're smoking duude! :rolleyes:

HD

CARP COVER UP REVEALED

So here is the answer.

Has seen one to many X-Files episodes

...it's probably just me, but I find it unusual for a Newbie to the board to dig up a 13 month old thread to make his first post on... and that that post would be a hear/say theory pointing to the MNRs ineptitudes of choosing a toxic aquatic herbacide when there are quite a few that aren't toxic to fish that they can choose from.

Like these:

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/361fs.pdf

We have a little lake down here in Alabama called Lake Guntersville, I'm sure that some of the folks on this board that follow the B.A.S.S and FLW tournies on TV have heard of it.

The Tennessee Valley Authority and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have been battling an outbreak of exotic invasive Milfoil and Hydrilla on the lake for years with both aerial spraying and other conventional means of dispersing aquatic herbacides... not not once has there been a fish kill on the lake from these chemicals! Carp or otherwise!

We have had fish kills in other large lakes (Lake Eufaula for example) from viruses similar to your Carp virus up there.

Given the the choice between the 2 explanations (virus vs. herbacide) the virus explanation sounds much more credible to me.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Yeah.. cuz carp are the only bottom feeding fish in Scugog :rolleyes:

For the last time, carp don't eat weeds and garbage.. they uproot the weeds to get at the worms, crayfish and invertebrates living under them. And they are very sensitive to foul scents and bitter taste.. something tells me they don't make herbicide tablets that smell and taste like candy.

Yeah.. cuz carp are the only bottom feeding fish in Scugog :rolleyes:

For the last time, carp don't eat weeds and garbage.. they uproot the weeds to get at the worms, crayfish and invertebrates living under them. And they are very sensitive to foul scents and bitter taste.. something tells me they don't make herbicide tablets that smell and taste like candy.

I see you know yer quarry well. :lol: