led light fun

icceman

I was literally going to make a post to the forum to ask about LED light strips and if anyone had any experience with them. I have a tinner and was considering using 3m LED strips in green and red to provide navigational lighting to the front of the tinner.

Some nights we hang out late on the water right near the cottage and I would feel a lot better having some lights even if they are not technically "regulation" its better than nothing.

From what I get from the Ontario regs if you're anchored (or drifting?) you need to show a white light visible from 360 degrees. If you're under power then you need your proper bow red/green and white to allow determination of your course by others. I may not have exactly worded that right but it's the gist of how I understand it. So I guess the only worry would be to ensure the separation of the red/green to cleary indicate port & starboard, I don't think the type of light is that great a concern as long as it's visible.

Michael

I was literally going to make a post to the forum to ask about LED light strips and if anyone had any experience with them. I have a tinner and was considering using 3m LED strips in green and red to provide navigational lighting to the front of the tinner.

Some nights we hang out late on the water right near the cottage and I would feel a lot better having some lights even if they are not technically "regulation" its better than nothing.

if going to mount other LED lights I found a proper bow light that is LED at Canadian Tire.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/led-bi-colour-bow-light-0791238p.html#srp

I think what you installed looks very good.

Been thinking about doing something similar, but I'm concerned about all the bugs (mosquitoes) the lights would attract

I too would like to know the answer to this from those that have lights installed and have been using them for a while

Went out on lake O saturday morning and did not find any bugs being attracted to the lights. They really do brighten stuff up. Makes rigging alot easier then a head lamp. In the rear of the boat I set up lights to charge glow spoons. Works awesome. The lights themselves come from amazon. Under 10 bucks a 15 ft roll any color of the rainbow. Only skills you really need to do the install is a little soldering on the light and wiring up a switch. I have seen the red and green navigation lights on the front, they are sharp looking. Only thing I did not like was how the wires are visible because it is on the outside of the hull. Next project is led in the trailer rails. Gonna be a breeze to launch and load boat in the dark when you can see the trailer in the water.